Speech-to-text - Action On Hearing Loss: RNID

Other forms of communication

Speech-to-text

Please install the Flash Plugin

Speech-to-text reporters (STTR) help people who are deaf to access audio information via a laptop or a projector screen. Reporters type word for word what is being said with information appearing in real time for the person who is deaf.

Speech-to-text reporters use a system called Palantype® or Stenograph ®. This allows them to use a special keyboard that allows the reporter to type using the phonetic sound of words rather than spelling the words out manually. The phonetic version is translated into English by a computer and presented on the computer or projector screen for the person who is deaf.

This allows the reporter to provide a real time translation of audio to people who are deaf. On average 95% of the words are translated correctly by the computer with the remaining 5% spelt how they sound phonetically.

Speech-to-text reporting is most suited for people who are comfortable reading English at a high-speed for lengthy periods. Find out more information in our factsheet - Working with a speech-to-text reporter(external link, opens new window).

Booking a speech-to-text reporter

Are you looking to book a speech-to-text reporter?

We provide an excellent communication support service. Book a speech-to-text reporter with us today.

If you are booking communication support for the workplace, you may be eligible for funding from the government funded Access to Work scheme. Find out how we can help you with your funding application.

For more information contact us:

Telephone: 0845 685 8000
Textphone: 0845 685 8001

Email: communication.services@hearingloss.org.uk

Act Now! Check your hearing

More...