WherePoolemead Centre, Watery Lane, Twerton, Bath BA2 1RN
WhenWe are looking for volunteers who are available on weekdays. Specific shift times will be discussed and agreed at interview.
What will you be doing?As Volunteer Administration Assistant, you’ll perform the following tasks:
• Handle e-mails and telephone calls in a polite and professional manner
• Use basic computer programs, such as Excel, Word, Outlook
• Use office equipment, such as photocopier, fax and franking machine
• Input data into an online database system
• Perform other general administrative tasks, such as filing
• Ensure tasks are completed on time or referred to the relevant colleague
• Liaise with members of staff in other departments or external contacts
• Support Action on Hearing Loss staff with other tasks as needed
• Follow Action on Hearing Loss policies and regulations
Why do we need you?Volunteers are very important to the success of our work. By joining us as an administration volunteer, you’ll contribute to the smooth running of our specialist residential care home, Poolemead House, which provides 24-hour support to deafblind people with diverse and sometimes complex needs.
What skills do you need?Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
• A genuine interest in working for charities
• Good organiser and communicator
• Good interpersonal skills
• Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
• Happy to work with a wide range of people
• Good administrative experience
• Good PC skills including the use of Microsoft Office suite
• Able to work alone/on own initiative
What support will you get?We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 90% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
TransportYou may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
DisclosureYou may be required to complete a DBS check (previously CRB), as some of your work may include working with vulnerable adults.
What next?Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960