You will join our friendly reception team based at our head office:
1-3 Highbury Station Road
This is a varied role and would suit someone who can commit long term and is comfortable adapting to variable workloads. Here are some of the duties you will help support us with as a Volunteer with the Head Office Reception Team.
A regular weekly commitment is required during our office hours of 9-5pm, and a minimum of 4 hours per week. This opportunity requires a minimum commitment of 4 months.
We are currently looking for cover in the afternoons.
Actual hours to be discussed.
- Manage our switchboard
- External and internal telephone calls
- Meet and greet our staff, volunteers and visitors as well as external stakeholders
- Respond to e-mails and telephone calls in a timely and professional manner
- Liaising with members of staff in other departments or external contacts
You may also assist other Action On Hearing Loss departments with ad hoc administrative tasks.
- Excellent communication skills over the telephone as well as face to face
- Good basic or level 1 BSL or is happy to learn basic BSL
- High level of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people
- A genuine interest in working for charities
- Good organiser and communicator
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- Happy to work with a wide range of people
- Solid PC skills including the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Previous experience as a receptionist highly desirable
If you have a hearing loss, please let us know how we could adapt this role to suit you.
Your own transport is not necessary as reasonable local public transport expenses will be reimbursed.
Support and supervision
Regular support will be given by your Reception Volunteers manager, especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including a one-day induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role.
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people;
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers;
- Fulfilment – knowing that the information you provide will make a real difference to those who receive it, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole;
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy;
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles within Action on Hearing Loss.
Thank you for showing an interest in volunteering with Action on Hearing Loss. If you are interested in joining us please complete a volunteer application form .
You can also contact us by Email : email@example.com to request a form or call us to ask any questions: 01273 840960