Where?We are currently looking for volunteers in the following communities:
• Brighton & Hove
When?The role is flexible, depending on the scale of the quiz you’re planning. We don’t want you to ever feel under pressure to do more than you’re comfortable. Typically, we would like someone who is able to commit to between one and two hours per week.
What will you be doing?As Quiz Master Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
• Lead on the organisation, planning and management of a fundraising quiz in your local area, to help our work to change the lives of people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Project manage your quiz, taking it from idea to successful completion
• Source a suitable location
• Advertise the event in the local community and enlist competitors
• Raise awareness of deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Take full responsibility for all of the money you raise!
Your Volunteer Manager will work with you and support you throughout the whole process. They will also provide you with all the materials you need- such as branded items and paying in slips- to make it really easy to transfer the money you’ve raised.
Once you’ve organised one quiz, you’ll then have a template for running another quiz for us in future if things go well!
Why do we need you?Fundraising is vital to support our work. We want to reach even more of the 11 million people affected by hearing loss, and a fundraising event in your local community will be a valuable asset in helping us to do just that.
What skills do you need?Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Above all, an enthusiasm and interest for Action on Hearing Loss' work. 1 in 6 people in the UK are affected by hearing loss, so there will be lots of people in your local community who understand how hard it can be to face hearing loss, and empathise with the people we help.
• Knowledge of your local area and ideally a good network of contacts in your area.
• Good communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
What support will you get?We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer!
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
TransportYou may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
What next?Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960