Where?At the Action on Hearing Loss Sensory Service Newport Office
When?A regular weekly commitment is required; times and days to be agreed. All office roles will need to be carried out Monday – Friday 9am - 2pm.
What will you be doing?As Office Assistant/ Receptionist Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
• Handle telephone calls in a polite and professional manner
• Use basic computer programs, such as Excel, Word, Outlook
• Use office equipment, such as photocopier, fax and franking machine
• Take referrals over the telephone or face-to-face
• Greet clients/ visitors with a polite and approachable manner
• Ensure tasks are completed on time or referred to the relevant colleague
• Make follow up telephone calls to clients
• Input data into an online database system
• Support the Administrators and other staff where needed
• Check-in delivered equipment with the support of the administrator
• File away confidential information
• Follow Action on Hearing policies and regulations
Why do we need you?Right now, someone in your family, or your friends or colleagues is affected by deafness, hearing loss or tinnitus. Perhaps you're affected yourself. By getting involved with us, you can make a difference to the lives of the 11 million people in the U.K. who have hearing loss.
What skills do you need?Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting those with a sensory loss
• A genuine interest in working for charities
• Good organisational skills
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• A friendly, reliable and approachable manner
• Ability to communicate and work with a wide range of people
• Good computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Office Suite
• A background in administration or reception roles
What support will you get?We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 90% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. For this role, the following training sessions are compulsory:
• A one day induction to Action on Hearing Loss
• A two hour session on Visual Impairment
• A two hour session on Office Admin
• A 30 minute online course in Safeguarding Adults and children
• Some shadowing sessions with either staff or other volunteers
What will you gain?Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people with a sensory loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
TransportYou may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
What next?Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960