Prudhoe or Haltwhistle, Northumberland.
Please specify in your application which location you prefer.
Prudhoe: 2nd Thursday to every month, 10.45am to 12.45pm
Haltwhistle: 2nd Thursday of Jan/ Mar/ May/ Jul/ Sep/ Nov, 9.30am to 12.00pm
Please note that we can be slightly flexible with shift times.
What will you be doing?
As Meet and Greet volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
- meet and greet visitors at reception, providing a friendly and polite welcome
- note the service users’ names and check if they are already registered
- assist with registration forms, where necessary
- direct service users, families and visitors to the consulting room
- answer general queries about the clinic and its services
- refer enquiries to Action on Hearing Loss staff as required
- actively look for anyone who may be lost or may need help
- use your initiative and maintain the waiting area
- keep all information given or discussed within the service confidential
- attend relevant training
- promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- ability to approach visitors in a confident and caring manner
- ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately, or signpost to Action on Hearing Loss staff as required
- happy to work with a wide range of people
- confidentiality with service users’ information
- knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss- particularly older people.
Why do we need you?
It can take time for people to get used to hearing aids, understand the different settings and learn how to take care of them. The volunteers at our Hear to Help clinics therefore provide a valuable service to people who depend on their hearing aids for day-to-day tasks and social interactions.
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- training in Understanding Hearing Loss
- volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role.
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
- training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available.
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960