Where?Salisbury Library Minster St SalisburySP1 1BL
In order to maximise the effectiveness of this project we would ask for a minimum of 2 hours per month, however the level of commitment depends entirely on the volunteer.
Regularity is also an important factor for this project as the information hubs will operate at certain times and days.
What will you be doing?
As Information Stand Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
• Set up Action on Hearing Loss information stands
• Answer questions from visitors and hand out leaflets as appropriate
• Seek out new contacts within your community to aid partnership working
• Carry out hearing checks, using the appropriate equipment supplied
• Take details from enquirers if unable to supply the information, and follow up the enquiry at a later date
• Monitor the number of enquiries held at each session, and feedback to your volunteer manager
• Signpost clients to other relevant services within the community
• Demonstrate and promote the use of hearing loss equipment
• Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss through informal discussion and/or talks to groups
• Meet with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers to discuss the project.
Why do we need you?
The Hear to Inform and Support project aims to expand our volunteer-led information services for people with hearing loss across the U.K. Our volunteers have an important role to play in helping us to increase the number of people who take action to manage their hearing loss and tinnitus.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
• Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
• Ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately
• Work with a wide range of people
• Confidence in speaking to individuals, groups and professionals
• Willingness to learn about and demonstrate the use of relevant equipment (including hearing screeners)
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960