We are currently looking for volunteers in the following communities:
- Birmimgham and surrounding area
Information stand sessions usually take place during the day, Monday to Friday and last around 3-4 hours. The level of commitment depends entirely on each volunteer.
What will you be doing?
As Information Outreach Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
- set up Action on Hearing Loss Information stands at various locations including libraries, community centres and hospitals within your local area
- ensure leaflets and equipment arrive at the venue in time, and pack up at the end of the event
- promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss and associated local services
- respond to questions and enquiries from visitors and assist as appropriate
- record any enquires that are out of your knowledge base and follow up accordingly
- monitor the number of inquiries held at each event and feedback in a timely manner
- be proactive in sourcing venues for information stands in conjunction with the Regional Communications Officer
- meet with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers to discuss the project and suggest any improvements.
Why do we need you?
Our Information Stand Volunteers help us to share valuable information about our services to the general public. We need more enthusiastic individuals to join us, so people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss can take control of their lives and remove the barriers in their way.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- confidence in speaking to individuals and groups
- knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
- friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately – redirecting questions to staff if you are unable to answer in full
- happy to work with a wide range of people, especially older people.
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together. Here’s what our volunteers say:
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- training in understanding hearing loss
- the opportunity to attend other training relevant to the role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment – knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960