Where: Various locations around your local area
When: When most convenient for you
What will I get out of it?
- Free Training - learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people
- Experience - meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss Volunteers.
- Fulfilment - knowing that information you provide will make a real difference to those who receive it, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as whole.
- Support and supervision - Regular support will be given, especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in.
- Opportunities - to try other volunteering roles within Action on Hearing Loss
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Willing to learn, or have existing knowledge about issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people, particularly older people
- Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- Happy to work with a wide range of people especially the elderly
- Confidence in speaking to individuals, groups and professionals
What will I be doing?
- Deliver taster deaf awareness sessions, or on specific topics (e.g. Tinnitus during Tinnitus Awareness Week) if requested by client group.
- Set up information stands using display boards, leaflets, equipment and offer hearing checks (via laptop).
- Check whether venue is accessible (e.g. loop facility, quiet room, good lighting) and bring portable loop if needed.
- Seek out new contacts and book talks or stands in your local area.