We are currently looking for volunteers in the following locations:
• Brightlingsea, Essex
All sessions take place Monday-Friday, during the day. The length of each walk-in clinic is around 3 hours, including set up time. Home visits will be around 1 hour.
We would require a minimum of 2-4 hours commitment from each volunteer per month, but specific availability can be discussed at the interview stage.
What will you be doing?
As Hearing Aid Support Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
•Visit service users within their homes, residential/day care centres and walk-in clinics
• Undertake basic maintenance on hearing aids such as re-tubing and battery replacement;
• Sign post other agencies that may be beneficial to the service user, such as the Sensory Impairment Team
• Monitor the number of visits carried out and feedback to Volunteer Co-coordinator;
• Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss;
• Meet with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers to discuss the project and suggest any improvements.
Why do we need you?
It can take time for people to get used to hearing aids, understand the different settings and learn how to take care of them. Our Hearing Aid Support volunteers therefore provide a valuable service to people who depend on their hearing aids for day-to-day tasks and social interactions.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Knowledge of or willingness to learn about issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss;
• Friendly, reliable and approachable manner;
• Ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately;
• Happy to work with a wide range of people especially the elderly.
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
You will be required to complete a DBS check (previously CRB), as some of your work may include working with vulnerable adults.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960