You will join our friendly reception team based at our head office:
1-3 Highbury Station Road
A regular weekly commitment is required during our office hours of 9am-5pm (Monday-Friday), and a minimum of 4 hours per week. We ask for a minimum commitment of 4 months for this role.
Actual hours to be discussed.
What will you be doing?
As Facilities Assistant Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
- Answering telephone calls on reception
- Meeting and greeting staff, volunteers and visitors
- Ensuring visitors receive a visitor’s lanyards when requested
- Checking the copier machine to ensure paper is available at all times
- Re-arranging meeting rooms to meet the needs and requirements of staff
- Collecting post to be sent out by royal mail daily
- Receiving post daily from royal mail and couriers
- Filling up tea/coffee dispensers on all floors daily
- Ensuring the kitchen in the ground floor area is kept clean and tidy
- You may also assist other Action on Hearing Loss departments with ad hoc administrative tasks.
Why do we need you?
Right now, someone in your family, or your friends or colleagues is affected by deafness, hearing loss or tinnitus. Perhaps you're affected yourself. By getting involved with us, you can make a difference to the lives of the 11 million people in the U.K. who have hearing loss.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- Excellent communication skills
- Good basic or level 1 BSL- or happy to learn some basic BSL
- High level of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
- A genuine interest in working for charities
- Good organiser and communicator
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- Happy to work with a wide range of people
- Solid PC skills including the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Previous experience as a receptionist highly desirable
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
- Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960