Positions will be offered within local areas.
The level of commitment depends on the individual volunteer and needs of the project.
TasksAssist the Digital Skills Officer to deliver basic online skills training sessions to groups of people who are deaf or have hearing loss Assist participants to complete short forms during the session Provide 1:1 support to participants, as required Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss in Northern Ireland
- An interest in technology and willingness to share your knowledge with people who are deaf or have hearing loss
- Experience of using the internet for tasks such as ‘googling’, emailing, social networking and online shopping
- Ability to work with a wide range of people, including those who may lack confidence and experience using technology
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people
- Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- Ability to remain patient when working with service users
- Ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately
TrainingAction on Hearing Loss NI offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including a one-day induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. We also offer an OCN accredited course in ‘Working with people who are deaf or hard of hearing’.
Support and supervisionRegular support will be given by your Volunteer Coordinator, especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers as you work together.
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people who are deaf or have hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfillment – knowing that the information you provide will make a real difference to those who receive it
- Expenses – all expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles within Action on Hearing Loss
DisclosureAll volunteers are required to complete an ACCESS NI check, as some of your work may include working with vulnerable adults.
What next?Thank you for showing an interest in volunteering with Action on Hearing Loss. If you are interested in becoming a Digital Champion Volunteer, please complete an online application form. If you require further information please contact:
Regional Volunteer Manager
Harvester House 4 – 8 Adelaide Street
Belfast BT2 8AG
Tel/text: 028 90239619
Fax: 028 90312032