We are currently looking for volunteers in the following communities:
- Tetbury, Gloucestershire & surrounding area
Glastonbury & surrounding area
If you are interested in this role but your community in the South West is not listed above, please still get in touch with us!
The role is flexible, and we don’t want you to ever feel under pressure to do more than you’re comfortable. Typically we would like someone who is able to commit to this role for between two and four hours per week. The amount of time you spend depends on how large an area you’d like to cover.
As Collection Tin Organiser, you will perform the following tasks:
- Liaising with shops, businesses and offices in your area to ask them to keep an Action on Hearing Loss collection tin in a prominent place.
Collecting full tins and supplying new ones.
Counting and banking the collected money and recording it accurately, and completing simple reports so we can keep track of how they’re doing.
Ordering collection tins and buckets and replacing old/damaged tins with new ones.
- Informally discussing other ways the business may support our work (for example, if one of their employees wants to run a marathon for us) and passing leads to us.
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- Above all, an enthusiasm and interest for Action on Hearing Loss' work. 1 in 6 people in the UK are affected by hearing loss, so there will be lots of people in your local community who understand how hard it can be to face hearing loss, and empathise with the people we help.
Knowledge of your local area and ideally a good network of contacts in your area.
- Good communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
You may need to be able to travel locally to different places if you would like to extend your volunteering, whether by car or public transport. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Support and supervision
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us. While volunteering for us, you will:
- Be supported by the Community Fundraising Team. We will be your everyday contact for any advice, ideas, information including on the legalities and best practice and any other queries you may have.
Get all the materials you need and paying in slips to make it really easy to transfer the money you’ve raised.
- Be kept up-to-date with latest Action on Hearing Loss news and information and any new developments in your area.
In a recent survey, 90% of our volunteers said they would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
- Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
You’ll receive the following benefits when you volunteer for Action on Hearing Loss:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
You may be required to complete a DBS check (previously CRB), as some of your work may include working with vulnerable adults.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960