Birmingham - Selly Oak, Birmingham Central, Hall Green/Acocks Green
About 4 hours per month between Monday to Friday, during normal working hours.
What will you be doing?
As Social Group Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
• Help staff to prepare and set up the venue ensuring refreshments are provided
• Become familiar with the range of Action on Hearing Loss equipment, products and information resources
• General housekeeping before and after the group
• Provide a friendly welcome to group members as they arrive at the meetup
• Encourage members of the club to lead the book club
• Encourage the group to discuss and ask questions about the topic
• Follow Action on Hearing policies and regulations
Why do we need you?
Not everyone realises the impact that losing your hearing can have on your social life. Our social coffee mornings make a huge difference to people who may have become isolated by hearing loss. We depend on our fantastic volunteers to help us run this important service.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• A genuine interest in working for charities
• A friendly and approachable manner
• Confident to read a book at a pace with a group
• Confidence in learning about technology to demonstrate products to visitors (full training will be provided)
• Willingness to learn about, or existing knowledge of, issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people, particularly older people. Personal experience would be a benefit but is not required.
• A sensitive attitude towards other people
• Reliable, trustworthy and honest
• Open-minded and non-judgmental
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss and Visual Impairment
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960