Where?To be based from Bath but cover Bath & North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Somerset.
When?Once or twice a month when needed. Hours could vary depending on the activity
What will you be doing?As Activities Support Volunteer, you’ll perform some or all of the following tasks:
• Support the activities of people who are Deaf and have additional complex needs and abilities
• Assist them with fun activities such as cooking or gardening
• Attend shopping trips, go to the cinema, and participate with other community activities
• Operate within the person-centred planning ethos of our Care and Support services, which encourages individual choices for personal development, lifestyle, social and educational skills.
Why do we need you?Our care and support services provide support to people who are Deaf and have additional complex needs and abilities. Our volunteers are a vital part of the team, helping the people we support to achieve their hopes, dreams and aspirations!
What skills do you need?Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• Awareness and knowledge of diversity and human rights.
• Awareness of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss, and people who have learning difficulties and/or mental health support needs.
• Committed to the wellbeing of others, especially the older community.
• Friendly and positive attitude.
• Empathetic and active listener.
• Open-minded and non-judgemental
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
• Reliable, trustworthy and honest.
• Preferably, at least Level 2 British Sign Language skills and knowledge or experience.
• To be able and willing to drive long distances
What support will you get?We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
TransportYou may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
DisclosureYou will be required to complete a DBS check (previously CRB), as your work will include working with vulnerable adults.
What next?Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960