Daytime and early evenings, between Monday and Friday. The number of hours you commit is flexible, depending on your availability.
What will you be doing?
As an Access to Health volunteer, you will perform the following tasks:
• Visit local GP surgeries and hospitals to check accessibility and patient experience.
• This may include: completing questionnaires, checking loop systems, making a telephone enquiry, making an appointment, booking in, and checking websites for accessibility information
• Share information on the project with practice staff and patients
• Attend awareness raising sessions with practice staff
• Become familiar with the range of our information and local services
• Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss
• Meet with other volunteers and staff to discuss your work and suggest any improvements
Why do we need you?
Access to Health volunteers play an important role in helping us to understand and demonstrate the challenges faced by people who are d/Deaf or have hearing loss. We need more enthusiastic individuals to join us, so people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss can take control of their lives and remove the barriers in their way.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
• We are seeking volunteers who are d/Deaf or have hearing loss OR people who have an understanding of the barriers faced by those who are d/Deaf or have hearing loss.
• Confident speaking to individuals
• Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
• Happy to travel around the Salford area
• Happy to work with a wide range of people.
What support will you get?
Action on Hearing Loss will provide volunteers in this role with communication support or interpreters if required.
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss.
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the 10 million people with hearing loss in the UK, the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960