There are many great products to help you, or a loved one, manage your hearing loss. An assistive listening device will have a real impact on your ability to hear speech, music, TV and other sounds more clearly.
Our range of conversation listeners are especially helpful if you don't have hearing aids, or in situations where your hearing aids are less effective - in a noisy environment, or when you're struggling to hear over distance. Simply point the device in the direction of the sound you need to hear, and it will amplify the conversation and transfer it to your hearing aids, or ears, via your preferred listening option. You can enhance the clarity of the sound by adjusting high and low tones (bass and treble) to suit your particular type of hearing loss.
If the volume on your TV is turned up so loud that it disturbs others in the room, it’s time to consider a TV listener. You’ll be able to listen at a volume you’re comfortable with, while friends and family tune in at their preferred level. The sound will go straight to your ears, or through your hearing aids, independently of the TV speaker. Many TV listeners also have a number of features to help you tailor the sound to your specific hearing needs, including tone control, left/right volume balance and speech enhancement.
TV and conversation listeners consist of a base unit (transmitter), which connects to the audio output sockets on your TV. You’ll also need a wireless listening aid (receiver) to transfer the sound to your ears. Choose a neckloop or ear hooks if you use hearing aids with a ‘T’ or loop setting; opt for a stethoset, headphones or earbuds if you don’t wear hearing aids.
Here are our top 10 listening devices for hearing loss that will transform your ability to hear again.
The Roger Pen is an outstanding conversation listener for using at work, at home and when you’re socialising. Enjoy superb sound quality, even in noisy environments, over distance and when several people are speaking. It has three automatic microphone settings:
- Omni-directional - picks up amplified sound from all around
- Directional - point it in the direction of the sound you want to hear
- Super-directional - hear the speaker’s voice, even up to 25m away, if they’re holding or wearing the Roger Pen
- Plus, it’s Bluetooth compatible and connects wirelessly to your mobile phone.
Using the same technology as a digital hearing aid, the Sonido gives exceptional digital sound quality at the fraction of the price of other digital listeners. It helps you hear conversations, the TV and radio more clearly, while reducing background noise.
- Developed exclusively for Action on Hearing Loss
- Set the volume at different levels for each ear
- Tone and balance controls
- Works whether you have a hearing aid or not.
This handy gadget amplifies sounds and voices, while reducing background noise. Simply plug in the headphones or earphones and point the Pocketalker at what you want to hear. It’s suitable for up to severe hearing loss and can be used with or without a hearing aid.
- Volume balance settings if you have different hearing levels for each ear
- Tone control
- Easy to hold or use hands-free with the belt clip and lanyard included
- Listen in to hearing loops, even if you don’t wear a hearing aid.
Amplicomms TV listener
This great-value TV listener, with tone, volume and balance controls, boosts the sound to a comfortable level for your individual hearing loss. It comes with a choice of listening options: a neckloop if you use a hearing aid, or a stethoset if you don’t (see below).
- Digital audio input for excellent stereo sound quality
- Doubles as a conversation listener - switch seamlessly between conversation and the TV
- Wireless with up to 30m range
- Automatically switches off when not in use.
With the stethoset, the earbuds fit comfortably into your ears and you can hear the amplified sound directly through the headset.
This hands-free neckloop connects to mobiles, smartphones, MP3 players and any audio device with a 3.5mm jacket socket, and amplifies the sound with adjustable volume control. It automatically switches on when a call is received, and off after the call has finished.
- Hearing aid and cochlear implant-compatible
- Automatically switches between mobile calls and music
- Provides up to 30dB amplification.
- Operating time up to five hours.
This comfortable neckloop works with Sonido, Minitech and other conversation listeners. Plus, it can connect to TVs, radios, MP3 players and smartphones. Listen directly through your hearing aids on the ‘T’ or loop setting.
- Discreet and comfortable
- Hearing aid-compatible
- Cuts out distracting background noise
- Use with any audio device that has a standard 3.5mm jack connection.
Experience the future of hearing with IQbuds wireless earbuds. They enhance your hearing in loud places, while drowning out background noise. Selectively tune in or out of the world around you. Ideal for people with standard hearing or mild hearing loss.
- Hear conversations, even in noisy places
- Stay aware of your surroundings at all times
- Move between your digital and physical worlds with a simple tap
- Make phone calls on-the-go over Bluetooth from your iPhone or Android phone.
Comfortable and easy to use, these wireless headphones recharge when they’re placed back on the docking station. Connect your TV, laptop, MP3 player or iPod to the charging base and the sound is transmitted to the headphones, allowing you to move around your home.
- Tone, volume and balance control
- Mono setting - so you can hear all the sound in one or both ears
- Operating range up to 50m
- Battery lasts up to eight hours.
The Echo MiniTech Pro digital personal listener provides amplified sound in conversations, meetings and public spaces, and when watching TV. Featuring tactile volume controls, LED volume indicators and tone control, it has two microphones and a 3m extension lead. Suitable for hearing aid and non-hearing aid users.
- Tactile buttons with large, easy-read symbols
- LED volume indicators: blue (low), green (medium) and red (high)
- Rotating-wheel tone control
- Plug-in stubby microphone
The Roger Select is a state-of-the art wireless microphone, with innovative MultiBeam Technology, that offers excellent speech understanding in noisy situations. Use it with your hearing aids to follow group and one-to-one conversations more easily. Its Bluetooth technology allows you to make wireless mobile calls. Plus, the Roger Select connects to the TV, computer and other devices.
- MultiBeam Technology for improved speech in noisy situations
- Table mode for bars and restaurants
- Select who you want to hear when several people are talking with a single touch
- Clip and lanyard allow you to hear someone talking at a distance.
Find out more
For full details about our top 10 listening devices, click on the ‘More Information’ button underneath each description above. Or, contact our expert Customer Services team who can advise on the best listening solution for you, or a loved one:
Telephone: 03330 144 525
Textphone: 03330 144 530
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
We’re the only UK charity with a full range of products for people living with deafness, hearing loss and tinnitus, so we’re the ideal source of impartial advice. And every purchase means that you’re helping fund research to cure hearing loss within a generation.