You can protect your child’s hearing by keeping them away from loud noise as much as possible, and knowing the best ways to avoid permanent hearing damage.
Prolonged exposure to sounds over 80 decibels (dB) – about as loud as someone shouting – can cause hearing loss or ringing in the ears.
Here’s a guide to typical noise levels measured in dB – the higher the number, the louder the noise:
- 60dB – ordinary spoken conversation
- 80dB – shouting (this is the danger level)
- 100dB – cinema sound systems can top 100dB
- 110dB – a pneumatic drill nearby
- 130dB – an aeroplane taking off 100m away
Top tips to protect your child’s hearing
- Give them ear defenders to wear at loud events, such as firework displays, music concerts, air shows and sports stadiums.
- Turn down the music on their players – if they can’t hear external sounds, it’s too loud for them.
- Play more car games – listening to music in the car for a long time can increase the risk of hearing damage.
- Monitor the sound of the TV – if you have to raise your voice over the programme, the volume is too loud.
- Use earplugs when playing music – budding drummers should remember to wear earplugs to avoid hearing loss.
- Take regular breaks from headphones – 10-minute breaks will give their ears a rest.
- Limit time in noisy environments – try to spend the least amount of time possible in noisy places to protect your child’s ears.
- Test your child’s hearing – use the online hearing test on our website and consult your audiologist if you’re worried.
Products to protect your child’s hearing
Our hearing protection range includes products to keep your child’s ears safe from harmful soundwaves:
Protect your child's ears with a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. Made by 3M Peltor, the market leader in hearing protection, these comfortable ear defenders are specifically designed to protect younger wearers against dangerous noise levels. And every purchase includes a £1 donation to help fund our vital work.
• Volume reduced by up to 27 decibels
• Adjustable headband to fit children of all ages
• Foam padding for extra protection
• Available in blue or red.
EarPeace noise-cancelling earplugs will keep your child’s ears safe without distorting the sound. They’ll still enjoy all the action, just at a lower volume. These bestselling earplugs are recommended for adults too. They’re ideal for noisy parties, gigs and festivals. Plus, they’re reusable, comfortable and virtually invisible.
• Prevent permanent hearing damage from loud noise exposure
• Sound quality remains optimal
• Medium, high and max protection filters
• Aluminium carry case supplied.
Find out more
For full details about the featured products, click the ‘More Information’ button underneath each description above, or view our hearing protection range here. You can also contact our expert Customer Services team who will advise on hearing protection for you and your family:
Telephone 03330 144 525
Textphone 03330 144 530
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
We’re the only UK charity with a full range of products for people living with deafness, hearing loss and tinnitus, so we’re the ideal source of impartial advice. And every purchase means that you’re helping fund research to cure hearing loss within a generation.