Action on Hearing Loss Logo
    Total results:
      Total results:

      Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

      Do you have hearing loss because you were exposed to noise, or because you had an accident, at work? You could be eligible for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, depending on your individual circumstances.

      What is Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)?

      Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is a benefit for people who've become disabled or ill as a result of their job, or an approved employment training scheme or course.

      The benefit is non-contributory, which means it doesn’t matter how many national insurance contributions you've made. It’s also not means-tested, which means you can claim it regardless of any income or savings you have.

      You can receive IIDB even if you’re still working.

      Can I claim IIDB?

      You may be able to claim IIDB if you have a hearing loss because:

      • you were exposed to noise at work over a period of time (this is called occupational deafness), or
      • you had an accident at work or while on an approved training scheme or course.

      To claim, you’ll need to meet the qualifying rules and conditions for either occupational deafness or industrial accidents.

      Could I have occupational deafness?

      Occupational deafness is classified as a prescribed industrial disease. It means hearing loss caused by exposure to noise in a job that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) accepts as potentially causing deafness. These jobs are called ‘listed occupations’ To check if your job is a listed occupation, see our factsheet Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

      You qualify for IIDB under the rules for occupational deafness if:

      • the degree of your disablement from hearing loss is at least 20%, and
      • you have worked in a listed occupation for at least 10 years, and
      • you were working in a listed occupation for no more than five years before your claim.

      What if my hearing loss was caused by an industrial accident?

      You can qualify for IIDB under the rules for industrial accidents if:

      • your hearing loss was caused by an accident sustained ‘out of and in the course of your employment’, and
      • the degree of your disablement is at least 14%, and
      • 15 weeks have passed since the date of the accident.

      Unlike occupational deafness, you don’t need to have worked in a specified job to qualify under the rules for industrial accidents.

      What if my hearing loss was caused while I was on a course?

      If you have noise-induced hearing loss caused by an accident or exposure to noise while you were taking part in a government-funded course (such as work-based training for adults), or an approved employment training scheme, you can claim IIDB.

      How do I claim IIDB?

      You can go to, the government services and information website to download the forms, or get copies from an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre in Barrow on 0345 603 1358 (telephone) or 0345 608 8551 (textphone), or Barnsley on 0345 758 5433 (telephone) or 0345 608 8551 (textphone).

      The amount of benefit you get will depend on the extent of your disablement. This will be assessed by a medical advisor on a scale of one to 100%.

      Can I claim compensation too?

      Whether you claim IIDB or not, you could also claim compensation through the civil courts for hearing loss caused by your job. You must claim within three years of your industrial accident or when your occupational deafness first occurs.

      How does IIDB affect other benefits?

      Benefits for industrial injuries may affect other benefits you get.

      You may also qualify for other benefits if you are disabled from disease or hearing loss as a result of work – but they may reduce the amount of income-related benefits you get. Tell your benefits office if you get IIDB and related benefits.

      You can find out more from our factsheet Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or see