Action on Hearing Loss Logo
    Total results:
      Total results:

      Sign language support and interpreters

      When you book a registered sign language interpreter through us, we can help you get the right category of professional for your needs.

      Who are sign language interpreters?

      Sign language interpreters allow communication between deaf sign language users and hearing people. In Great Britain this is usually between British Sign Language (BSL) and English, but in Northern Ireland, Irish Sign Language (ISL) is also used.

      Sign language interpreters are regulated by the National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People (NRCPD) or the Scottish Association of Sign Language Interpreters (SASLI) in Scotland. Registered interpreters must respect confidentiality and stay completely impartial.


      There are two categories of sign language interpreter:

      • Registered sign language interpreter (RSLI)
      • Trainee sign language interpreter (TSLI)

      By using either an RSLI/TSLI, you can be confident they:

      • have met the required standards in training and competence according to their level
      • follow the NRCPD or SASLI Code of Conduct
      • are subject to a formal complaints process
      • have an enhanced disclosure certificate
      • are covered by professional indemnity insurance.


      TSLIs may have limited skills and experience and shouldn't be used in certain situations, such as mental health. If you're unsure which type of sign language interpreting support should be used, please contact us.

      Find out more and make a booking

      For more information, see our factsheet: Booking a sign language interpreter.

      If you have further questions, or you would like to book a sign language interpreter, please get in touch:

      Telephone : 0845 685 8000
      Text Relay : 18001 0845 685 8000
      SMS : 07537 410 086