Assistive technology products
Assistive technology products make learning fully accessible to pupils with hearing loss, who need clear access to voices in order to fulfil their potential at school.
Benefits of assistive technology for hearing loss
Hearing loss assistive technology can benefit all pupils and teachers in the classroom:
- Encourages inclusivity - all children in the classroom can actively participate in group activities.
- Makes speech so clear that children feel like they are sitting in the front row.
- Enables pupils with hearing loss to focus on their work rather than their hearing.
- Expands opportunities i.e. when choosing GCSEs, students can study IT, media, music etc.
- Facilitates access to the general curriculum, including more challenging activities such as physical education and performing arts.
- Promotes tolerance and understanding of hearing loss in children.
- Seeing students using assistive technology prepares all pupils for future interactions with individuals who have disabilities.
- Offers teachers the facility to better instruct children with different learning styles.
- Allows pupils to express themselves with less frustration and misunderstanding.
- Provides more independence, giving teachers more time to spend with other students and on group activities.
- Assists the whole class as students using assistive technology are more integrated and cause fewer distractions.
The Roger system is an amplified conversation listener that has superb sound and speech enhancement technology that can transform the ability to hear for pupils with hearing loss. It is very easy to use and automatically switches between different types of sound pickup. The system has a Bluetooth connection for wireless listening devices.
- Wireless neckloop for use with hearing aids on the 'T' or loop setting
- Using the neckloop with hearing aids helps to hear more clearly by blocking out background noise
- Headphone connection on the receiver to connect headphones for non-hearing aid wearers
- Directional microphone option – it can be worn by or pointed at the person talking
- Omni-directional microphone option – it can be put on a table to amplify a whole group conversation
- Switches between microphone pickups automatically
- Up to 10 Roger transmitters can be used in a network for group use
- Range of up to 20m, with Bluetooth connection a 10m range
- TV connection kit supplied, can be used to listen to the TV and conversation at the same time
- Up to 7 hours battery life
“OMG! Just got the new Phonak Roger Pen and audio shoes switched on and the difference it makes is jaw dropping. Am amazed. Close to tears."
Find out more
For information and advice about our assistive technology for hearing loss:
Telephone: 0333 240 5658 (calls welcome using Next Generation Text)
Textphone: 0333 014 4530