Your audiologist (hearing specialist) or tinnitus specialist may support you with one or more of these techniques to manage to tinnitus, but you can also try them without professional support:
- Use calming music and sounds – this can help to take your mind off your tinnitus by making it less noticeable. It can help you to relax and fall asleep. Find out more about sound therapy and the products available.
- Learn more about tinnitus – understanding what tinnitus is, what causes it, how common it is and how you can manage it can be reassuring. See the rest of our Tinnitus section, download our tinnitus factsheets or contact our Tinnitus Helpline.
- Use hearing aids if you also have hearing loss – not only will hearing aids help you hear better, hearing more environmental sounds can help to mask the sound of your tinnitus. Find out more about hearing aids.
- Learn to relax – stress can sometimes worsen tinnitus, so knowing how to reduce your stress levels can help you to manage tinnitus. Find out more about relaxation exercises.
- Chat to others with tinnitus – sharing experiences and tips with others who have tinnitus can be really useful. You can join the latest discussions on our online Tinnitus forum or visit a support group. The British Tinnitus Association has a list of independent tinnitus support groups on its website.
- Let your family and friends know how tinnitus affects you – once your family and friends know how tinnitus affects you, they’ll be better equipped to support you. They may find our factsheet How to help friends and family with tinnitus helpful.
- Take steps to improve your general health – having a well-balanced diet and taking regular exercise will help your overall wellbeing and may help you to cope with tinnitus more easily. Your GP can give you advice about exercise and improving your diet.
- Follow tips to help you sleep – if tinnitus is affecting your sleep, simple steps like getting up at the same time each day and ‘winding’ down at least an hour before bed may help. See our factsheet Stress and tinnitus for more tips.
- Protect your ears from loud noise – exposure to too much loud noise can damage your ears and worsen existing tinnitus. Find out more in our Look after your hearing section.