You are here:


Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Tinnitus > Tinnitus - not getting anywhere with GP

#1 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:26:37 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/16/2017
Posts: 1
Hi everyone.
Hope your all well.
Hoping you can help me on my step to getting my tinnitus investigated..
I started with it about 4 months ago. It's the typical kind, constant high pitched buzz in both ears, some times one, some times it feels like it's in my head. Changes in tone etc.
Around about the same time I started with a postnatal drip, didn't know what it was at the time and ingnored it as I was so consumed with the tinnitus.
3-4 months and 3 gp visits and I've basically been told it's wax, it anxiety and that there's nothing gp can do. brings us to now. I've sort of got used to the tinnitus but have developed infectious (apparently) sinusitis and rhinitis. The pressure in my head is immense, all over, shooting pains, cracklings and popping ears, fatigue. I have been like this for weeks and weeks but dreading the trip to the docs again incase I was turned away. Been given antibiotics and nasal spray, gp saying that it will eventually resolve everything. Nearly finished the antibiotics, no better, still have the head pressure and ears still ringing and crackling away. Feel my hearing is suffuring too. The spray reduced the swelling in my nasal passages but it's only temporary. I'm not convinced sinusitis or rhinitis is causing my ears to ring or that the antibiotics will work. Finish them in two days. Losing faith in the docs now. How do I get to be seen by ent because the docs don't seem willing to refer... if nothing but just to rule out anything bad.
Thank you. Sorry for the essay 😂
Vicky (Information Officer)
#2 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 10:17:58 AM
Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 6/10/2014
Posts: 510
Hi Kekie,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Vicky and I work for the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss.

We would encourage you to seek a second opinion, which you are entitled to. If the antibiotics have not helped and you are still experiencing the problems then a referral to ENT does need to be made so that they can investigate further.

Although there is not a cure for tinnitus just yet, unless an underlying cause can be found, there is a lot of research taking place. There are lots of different therapies and products that can help people to manage their tinnitus in order to get to place where it is no longer bothersome for them. You may wish to read our factsheet Tinnitus – Causes and Therapies for more information on what is available to help you. Some of these therapies are done on the NHS with a hearing therapist. The service isn’t always available in all hospitals but your GP can refer you to one that does offer this. You may have to press your GP for this referral but please do as you are entitled to receive support. As people experience Tinnitus differently a therapy that works for one may not necessarily for another so it is important to persevere until you find a therapy that works for you.

If you still find that you are not getting the support you need from your GP, then we would encourage you to make a complaint. The NHS website offers guidelines on how you go about doing this -

Kind regards


Information Line Officer

Telephone: 0808 808 0123
Text phone: 0808 808 9000
SMS: 0780 0000360
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum.
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
  • You cannot create polls in this forum.
  • You cannot vote in polls in this forum.