Any football fans? - Action on Hearing Loss
You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Tinnitus > Any football fans?

ruud1boy
#1 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 1:26:35 PM

Do we have any followers of the beautiful game on here? If so, I wondered how you accommodate / allow for the T when you go to games? I've been wearing earplugs at games recently to reduce the crowd noise, but it makes it a pretty joyless experience to be effectively cut off from the conversation and discussion with my friends whilst the game is ongoing.
ruud1boy
#2 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 12:56:04 PM

Man, this forum's quiet! 294 views and no-one goes to football?
Sandbuzz
#3 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 2:51:14 PM

Some of us go for the game played by men with odd shaped balls....i.e rugby.

I wear earplugs to anything that I think the sound will exceed 100dB....that includes rugby, concerts, certain cinemas etc. I believe it helps me to concentrate on what I'm seeing better....the discussions have to wait for later.
DanBear
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:17:30 PM

I go to football matches (when I can get a ticket!) - but I don't take any action regarding tinnitus, hence why I didn't respond previously.

I have a hearing loss as well as tinnitus, so I wear hearing aids - these also help with my tinnitus on a daily basis, as they enable me to hear other background sounds over my tinnitus, and this is true at the match also - so I'm afraid I can't really be any help here. My tinnitus tends to bother me most when I'm in quiet places, so football matches aren't usually a problem!
AlexandraBamford1
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 12:34:42 PM

Dear all,

I’m a geography student from Durham University and I’m currently conducting research for my dissertation into how people with disabilities cope with living in urban spaces.

I was wondering whether you could share the link to my online anonymous questionnaire (on accessibility and public space in London):

https://goo.gl/forms/i3czVz35icBWIU3h2

It would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

Alexandra Bamford 
ruud1boy
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:39:05 PM

DanBear wrote:
I go to football matches (when I can get a ticket!) - but I don't take any action regarding tinnitus, hence why I didn't respond previously.

I have a hearing loss as well as tinnitus, so I wear hearing aids - these also help with my tinnitus on a daily basis, as they enable me to hear other background sounds over my tinnitus, and this is true at the match also - so I'm afraid I can't really be any help here. My tinnitus tends to bother me most when I'm in quiet places, so football matches aren't usually a problem!

Do you find the level of noise at games causes you any difficulties with your T. I'm worried that the racket is going to crank up the tinnitus.
DanBear
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:52:41 PM

ruud1boy wrote:
DanBear wrote:

Do you find the level of noise at games causes you any difficulties with your T. I'm worried that the racket is going to crank up the tinnitus.

Not that I've noticed - my tinnitus bothers me most at night, or when I'm trying to work in the office and it's quiet. I haven't particularly taken any notice of any correlation between when it's worst and what I've been doing that day - however, now that you've mentioned it, I'll try and be more aware.

I did make a decision when I first got the tinnitus that I wasn't going to let it ruin my life, and that if the volume increases following certain activities, such as going to a gig (or a match), that I'd just deal with it as a consequence of doing something I love doing - no different from dealing with a hangover really!