You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Tinnitus > DWP on Tinnitus Benefits

davidwhite10
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:34:36 AM

Hi Folks,
have question on Hearing lose & Tinnitus on any Benefits you can claim, as too me all this is new and a mine field,just over a year ago i lost 50% hearing due too having Tinnitus , i got 2 hearing aids fitted to help with hearing,as you know does not help with Tinnitus at night time when take hearing aids out , thats when it kicks and you dont get much sleep ,lost my job too , now i have depression and other illness ,so on sick
i did claimed PIP which i recevie a payment each month , but got suspended from ESA as when went for an assesstment the agent said was fit for work , when tried to explain Tinnitus and hearing she did not want to know , told me to listen too music and read a book for my Tinnitus thats DWP cure , and turn up aids , it was a nitemare to be treated likes this , not sure if any other benefits i should be claiming , Thanks for any info on this matter

DWP need to be advised how to treat folk and unterstand Tinnitus
Jess (Information Officer)
#2 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 10:39:48 AM

Hi davidwhite10

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, tinnitus is not considered as a disability and therefore not taken into consideration when the DWP are carrying out assessments for possible benefits.

If you want to challenge a decision on your claim, you must ask the DWP for a mandatory reconsideration before you can directly lodge an appeal with HM Courts and Tribunal Service (HMCTS).There is a one-month deadline to request a mandatory reconsideration of a decision that you do not have a limited capability for work/ limited capability for work-related activity.
If you ask for a written explanation of the decision, the deadline will be extended by a further two weeks. Even if you miss the one-month time limit, you may be able to make a late mandatory reconsideration request if you have ‘good cause’.
Should you still disagree with the reconsidered decision, you have one month to lodge an appeal with HMCTS, although an appeal can be made up to 52 weeks (one year) late in exceptional circumstances.
You can read more about it via our benefits factsheets here.

It is disappointing to read of your experience and the DWP and hopefully our other forum members will post shortly about their experiences and what actions they took.

Best wishes
Jess
Information Line Officer

Telephone : 0808 8080 123
Textphone : 0808 808 9000
SMS: 0780 0000 360

information@hearingloss.org.uk
HughGraham1
#3 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 8:34:30 PM

Jess said: "Unfortunately, tinnitus is not considered as a disability"

Oh dear - wrong again Jess.

As you appear to be unaware of the Equality Act 2010 let me point out the section on it specifically related to tinnitus:

Environmental effects
D20. Environmental conditions may have an impact on how an impairment affects a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.Consideration should be given to the level and nature of anyenvironmental effect. Account should be taken of whether it is within such a range and of such a type that most people would be able tocarry out an activity without an adverse effect. For example, whether background noise or lighting is of a type or level that would enable most people to hear or see adequately. (See also paragraph B11.)

A woman has tinnitus which makes it difficult for her to hear or
understand normal conversations. She cannot hear and respond to
what a supermarket checkout assistant is saying if the two people
behind her in the queue are holding a conversation at the same time.
This has a substantial adverse effect on her ability to carry out the
normal day-to-day activity of taking part in a conversation

Equality Act 2010 Guidance page 43 http://www.equalityadvis...sability-definition.pdf

So tinnitus is recognised as a disability, Jess. However, eligibility for ESA is not relating to whether a person has a disability or not but a much narrower range of criteria - the work capability assessment - which mean that many people who are recognised as having a disability will still not qualify.

Hope that's a bit clearer now.