You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Products and Equipment > oticon spirit 3's

JenniferWatton1
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2007 12:27:18 PM

I was fitted with these last friday and just wanted some feedback from other people who wear them.
They are heloing, especially with the tv etc but I do find them abit undomfortable when I am on the phone. Either the wire is being pushed further into my ear whilst on the phone or if I lift the phone away from my ear I get a lot of feedback (squeeling noises).
Also I cant lean on my ears as I found out when I lay down in the garden yesterday (when we had some sunshine) as the pressure pushes them further into my ear and also somethimes when I put my hands near my ears or someone gets too close to my ears then I get feedback too.
What do people think of these aids and is there anything that can be done about the probs or is this just normal?
ALso I was brave and wore them out on a hen night and found they picked up the music but still had difficulty with conversation, is this just because it was a noisy environment and that that would be the case with out the aids aswell?
Sorry for the questions, just helpful for advise.
david9
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:55:24 PM

Hi jenwa

I have been given a pair of those as well, but I can't really comment as I haven’t worn them enough to get the hang of them.

Re:
Quote:
... found they picked up the music but still had difficulty with conversation

I wear a Starkey Rhapsody ITE with 2 mikes. In this sort of situation I would switch off the back mike to pick up sound from in front and not from all around. No, in reality I probably wouldn’t wear a H/A at all.

You’ve most likely got 2 mikes and they are probably set to work automatically (but don’t!). You’ll have to talk to your audiologist, and maybe get him/her to fix you up with a prog (1 mike only) for this kind of noisy situation.

I hope some else comes along soon to answer your queries.

Good luck.
S3
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:28:46 PM

Almost right, digger,

The 2 microphones work best in noise, in what's called "directional" mode. That's what your 'Noise' programme will do. The main 'Normal' programme works in "omnidirectional" mode, so you can hear all around.

Directional microphones are fabulous in noisier environments. Any pair of H/A's supplied without them should be dropped in the bin .....and the audiologist shot.

Smoker
NO1
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:17:47 PM

what type of moulds do you have? (earbud ones?just wondering since you said you felt them being pushed INTO your ear.)
The type of mould can make a lot of difference. I've had spirit three's for nearly a year, and they are by far the best aids I've had but still took tweaking.(especially of the moulds, and feedback levels to get them right.) At first, they were very unhappy with the TV but mainly if there was a lot of loud background music. (they sort of 'sang' along, and echoed.)
My audiologist fixed this by giving me an extra programme without feedback control (thanks to the tipoff from these forums) apparently the feedback control perceives music as feedback, cancels it by producing an equal note, and gets confused when the music progresses, so it sort of sings along......with the feedback control off on programme four it made music normal again, and the tv much much better.I also didn't notice much whistling from them with the feedback off in those situations.
At first I had half-open moulds, and they were rather badly fitted, which produced squealing if I pushed my hair behing my ear, or hugged anyone or put a hood up. They turned the sound down a tidge, and gave me much better fitting moulds and that fixed it.
Also, make sure you have the directional function on. I agree any audiologist who doesn't put it on, should be shot. They didn't turn mine on at first. Exceedingly annoying, but brilliant when it was turned on. I also have the option on programme 2 of switching to front and side mic's only. This helps a lot in clubs/resturants.
I have just been given a totally open fitting, with probe like / bud things in my ear, and am having a few 'issues'. They squeal a little if something gets too close(more so than my moulds, which only did if you pushed them) and I caused myself great discomfort by accidently pushing the phone against them and had the sensation of pushing the probe right into my ear. Not very nice, I felt rather sick. My audiologist has only given me the earbuds/probes on trial because she said they are really not suited to people with more than moderate loss, and if you've lost too much bass frequency they will feedback a lot at you. She was worried this would happen, as I'm at the highest level the Spirit 3's can go; but because of my frustration with ear moulds and as i sing/play piano she was willing to let me try them. But I was warned that if they weren't suitable, I would have feedback trouble and may need the volume turned down a little or to go back to my half-open moulds.
As for the discomfort of the probes, I really don't know (I was hoping for some advice from the forums) I've had them hours so far. Haven't tried lying on my ear, as I presume it will cause masses of discomfort(as the phone did.) But I do wonder if they are too long, and if there are different sizes/types (a few were tried in my ear) and if there are shorter tubes/wires for those of us with smaller ears, and if the size of bud/length can be changed, until the sensation of something being pushed too far isn't there? At the moment it happens if i push the programme button too.
The spirit 3's when fixed up properly by my audiologist were brilliant. (However, when they weren't, I cursed them ALOT.)
S3
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:14:25 PM

Hi Nat,

Yes different 'lengths' (vertical distance from top of ear to the canal) and different 'depths' (horizontal distance from entrance of canal to the tip or bud).

All will fit universally onto the screw at the top of the device itself, so tubes are interchangeable without changing the device and/or programming.

These open fittings are very new in the NHS, and many locations still do not have access to them yet. Although your audiologist will have been fully trained with this new way of fitting, he/she will have limted experience so far.

Ask the audiologist for 1 'Left' and 1 'Right' of each size in the box. There will be anything from 5 to 10 different sizes, and probably a small marking on the tube to idicate the size. Try each size for at day at a time over the 5/10 days to determine what suits you best.

Smoker
JenniferWatton1
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 02, 2007 10:21:06 PM

Hi Nat
It seems you may have the same as me, I really am not sure what the half open moulds are, the ones I have are very small and sit on the end of the wire and push right into my ear. Sounds very simular to you in that they squeel when people get to close, the phone is against them or I push my hair behind my ears.
I have got used to the phone issue although some calls (especially to the bank/call centres) I prefer to take the HA out as it is easier but would not want to do this at work!
I will find out about the directional function though, my next appt is the end of the month.
Also did you get to choose a colour? i am hoping to get the clear ones as they may be even more discreet.
How did you get used to them and telling people? I am still really embarrased about it and so self conscious but happier being involved in conversations now!
NO1
#7 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2007 1:05:53 PM

Hi Jen,
Half moulds, are a lot like the usual hearing aid moulds you see people wearing, but aren't solid in the middle (there's a hole) so they let your ear breathe.
The ones you have are open fittings, and I've just been fitted with them.
I have just been back to audiology to have open fittings in both ears, and they gave me a bigger 'bud' at the end and a slightly different length tube to stop the sensation of them going into my ear (they're not supposed to go right in and spike you, but rest at the edge of the ear canal inside.
This is much more comfy, and helps with the phone: although I still take the HA out if I can.
Is this the first time you've had hearing aids?
(Just wondering if anyone showed you how to use them with the phone - you can't put the phone in the same position you would when you didn't have the aid in. You need to hold it more over the microphone, and not press it against your ear.)
As for the squealing,how close does someone have to be to make them whistle?
At first mine were whistling if I put my hair behind my ears, and if someone tried to hug me or stood too close next to me. They turned down some of the settings at audiology (playing with different figures very slightly until they found out which were a little too high and causing the feedback whistling when I put my hand very close to my ear). I don't notice any difference in the gain (amplification) and now the whistling is much better. It did take patience on the audiologists behalf.
(Also: there's a setting on the spirit three's called CORDA which is for the open fittings.When that was turned on, you can't have different pro grammes -so you're hearing aid will automatically switch directionality, but doesn't give you control to force it to front microphones only) and also on the CORDA settings my hearings aids squealed almost constantly. My audiologist said that generally he prefers to set up even open fittings without 'enabling corda' and tweaking the feedback himself. Might be worth investigating? It would also give you a option to change to directional only in noisy situations and add other special programmes.
It's also worth pointing out that almost ANY hearing aid will whistle some if you press against the outside, or come too close to it. I've never had an aid I can touch without causing some noise, and open fittings are more likely to get upset at being covered.
I didn't have a choice of colour, I was given clear ones. They are hardly noticeable. (In fact friends checking whether or not audiology had taken my aids or not after my fitting failed to notice I had them on and proceeded to shout at me, and were very surprised to find I was wearing them!) Ask for them, they really are hard to notice.
It takes a while to get used to hearing aids. When I was given the more powerful spirit 3's I didn't wear them all day (gave me headaches, too much noise) and my brain was frazzled from hearing all the sounds again, and trying to work out what they were. I started wearing them at home, then out in traffic with someone I knew, then gradually building up until I could wear them all day in quiet situations, then tackled more noisy situations leaving the aids in.
It really does take a while to get used to: but when you do it's worth the persevering.
I have had hearing aids since I was 12/13 (not that I wore them) but only since I went to university have I really worn them constantly.At first I was terrified what people would think, and that a whole load of negative preconceptions would be applied to me. (Or just that everyone would start yelling at me.) I've found out that on meeting new people sometimes I get flustered, especially when they don't know I'm deaf or have hearing aids on. I generally don't mention it unless I' m having difficulty, in which case I just say very matter-of-factly 'I'm sorry, could you say that again/say that looking at me/speak a little louder - I'm hard of hearing'. Usually this just gets me a puzzled look (I assume because I'm 24, and have long hair) and most people will then make themselves more understandable. You get the occasional (usually older person, who does NOT have hearing aids) say 'oh i am a bit too' and carry right on covering their mouth or whatever. Then I will say 'I wear a hearing aid' and point out clearly that I lipread if necessary.
I point out to my friends and co-workers if they seem to be having trouble communicating with me that I am hard of hearing so if they want my attention they'll need to make sure they're not talking to my back/I've seen them and am aware they're talking to me. And please don't yell - I'm already amplifying everything!
I have very rarely had any serious trouble or negative comments. I was quite embarrassed at first, especially starting uni and meeting so many people who wouldn't know I was hard of hearing. I didn't want to be labels 'silly' or have people 'TALKING-TO-ME-AS-IF-I-WAS-THREE' and rarely have I come across someone who does, and hardly anyone who persists once I point out if they do speak like that it's not clearer.
I really only tell people if I'm having difficulty with them (or am around them lots, so it's helpful they know) I've found sometimes it's just easier to say you're having trouble and are hard of hearing than soldier on. Can clear up a lot of misconceptions and problems later on. But you certainly don't have to tell everyone. Start gradually letting people know.
I found that as time went by I'm far less embarrassed or worried (sometimes even quite militant with shopkeepers and at the post office etc now! ) I wear glasses, I don't inform people I do, or feel embarrassed wearing them, or apologise for it. Whilst I might need to tell people I'm wearing a hearing aid (as they may not have seen it and I need to hear) it's not that much different from wearing glasses, and I'm not embarrassed about my glasses or think it makes me an old lady. The more I wore the aids and the less negative reaction I got, the less self conscious I became, especially as people often say to me 'I had no idea you were deaf' and I was convinced my hearing aids were very noticeable. Most people just regard it as if you were wearing glasses, and the majority will try to make it easier for you to hear. Most people also aren't that observant anyway, and don't even notice the aids. It just takes time to get used to, and time to feel less self conscious.
JenniferWatton1
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 09, 2007 9:01:32 PM

Hi Nat
Thank you soooo much for that. it was a fab reply and very useful indeed. I will def ask about that setting when I go back and see if it can be enabled.
I have sort of found a more comfy position with the phone now but even holding it near the mic makes it squeel! I do tend to take the HA out if I know it will be a longer call!
Your post sounds like me when it comes to feeling embarrased etc. I am like that and I do worry and it is awful as i am 31 and have long hair and do feel alot like you did but you seem to have overcome it all. It is great to know people do and that I will be able to do so aswell.
I wear the aids all the time now. They are my first ones and it was very bizzare when I first wore them. When I went back to work some people could not understand why I was tired and had a muzzy head and not very sympathetic. They made me sooo sleepy, likeyou say, the different noises etc.
When they squeel it is usually when I put my hair behind my ears or if people hug me and get too close. I am sort of getting used to it but it does make me self conscious!
When i go back I will ask for the clear ones. I spotted them when I went there, they tried to encourage me to go for glittery ones (pink, green etc) but I would prefer disreet!
When you say you were given more powerful spirit 3's what do you mean? Did they have to change the frequencies or update from old ones?
Do you know what is wrong with your hearing if you dont mind me asking?
Consultant investigating into mine!
Can I take you with me to my appt!!! You can tell them what you have had done then they can do it to mine!! he he. It does get stressful doesn't it? Hopefully they will help me out when I go back and do what needs to be done, they are a lovely dept so fingers crossed!
Thank you so much for your help and I will let you know how it all goes. appt not til end of month though!
TO2
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:41:59 PM

Hi All
I've just been supplied with oticon Spirit 3, and the audiologist stated that position 1 is normal, position 2 is too cut out background noise and 3 is telecoil. But when I switch to 2 it sounds the same as 1, is this normal or should I notice the difference as I do if I switch to 3.
flashingblade
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:57:06 AM

i have a pair of oticon spirit 3's and i couldnt tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd settings.

Got it changed so the 2nd is now a mic/telecoil setting mix.
MARYJACKSON1
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:30:13 AM

I have OTiconderoga Spirit 3s and adore them.
I would bet money that your tubes and/or cones are the wrong size. I'm betting it's the tubes (known as Corda tubes & Corda domes).
If you got these Promenade iyanla just them call them and tell them they don't fit right. They should not be slipping around on your ear. I would bet they fall out pretty easily too. I have the same problem until I shortened my tubes and got smaller domes.
Hope this helps!