You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Products and Equipment > Going private from NHS

KennyBlundell1
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:38:03 PM

Recently I read an old article written on HearingDirects hearing aid service (https://charlieswinbourne.com/2010/04/12/hearing-aids-for-99-but-how-good-is-hearing-direct/) after googling the products, and it raised a lot of the concerns I also have in regards to potential alternatives to NHS provided hearing aids.

Put simply, I am 18 years old and I dislike use of BTE hearing aids anymore, they just feel and look terrible; they make every conversation just feel patronising. Recently I just gave up on entirely wearing them to feel less conscious, and now I am suffering the consequences from a lack of hearing support (though I can carry myself okay-ish in general conversation, but it is limiting in communication). Having contacted my usual hearing centre, they suggested to go to specsavers for alternatives (as they don't seem to fund anything other than BTE's) - but the prices of said aids are moderately high in cost for myself (above £1300), though I feel I can meet this cost if need be. HearingDirect seem to offer a 'too good to be true' product even with their high praise, with their regular hearing aids being only £400 for a pair.

I have my parents INSIST 'Its no good, you have to be over 40 years of age' but I have found nothing that proves this statement. I would preferably go for a more 'invisible' style (CIC) over anything else, having moderate hearing loss. Any advice or information that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
GrahamLucas2
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:31:33 PM

Hi Kenny,

I believe some of the products that Hearing direct are selling come from Siemens (now Sivantos). This means that they will have good build quality and may be worth a try.

The problem that you will have is that their custom instruments will be a one size fits all.

You might be better off going to Specsavers or a low cost national dispenser - like discounthearingaids.com

You have a moderate loss. I am not an audiologist, but a hearing aid wearer, so don't take my advice as gospel. But, I think with a moderate loss you don't need so many bells and whistles i.e. a full premium aid. This means that you can go for a low spec hearing aid, or a mid range hearing aid, that would come in at around £1500 or perhaps a bit less.

A phonak Virto V30 CIC will be around this amount (£1690 a pair on discounthearingaids.com) and is of very good quality. At specsavers there is probably a mid range Starkey (rebranded) for less than this. Starkey have a very good reputation with custom instruments.

Good luck.

Graham

KennyBlundell1
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:47:44 PM

Is there any possibility you could provide me with some direct links I could use? The website you provided isn't the most user-friendly to navigate.

Much appreciated for the help also.
GrahamLucas2 wrote:
Hi Kenny,

I believe some of the products that Hearing direct are selling come from Siemens (now Sivantos). This means that they will have good build quality and may be worth a try.

The problem that you will have is that their custom instruments will be a one size fits all.

You might be better off going to Specsavers or a low cost national dispenser - like discounthearingaids.com

You have a moderate loss. I am not an audiologist, but a hearing aid wearer, so don't take my advice as gospel. But, I think with a moderate loss you don't need so many bells and whistles i.e. a full premium aid. This means that you can go for a low spec hearing aid, or a mid range hearing aid, that would come in at around £1500 or perhaps a bit less.

A phonak V30 CIC will be around this amount (£1690 a pair on discounthearingaids.com) and is of very good quality. At specsavers there is probably a mid range Starkey (rebranded) for less than this. Starkey have a very good reputation with custom instruments.

Good luck.

Graham

GrahamLucas2
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:54:07 PM

Hi Kenny,

The prices link on discounthearingaids.com is here:

http://www.digitalhearin....uk/hearing-aid-prices/

I would look on this page for low spec-mid range hearing aids offered by Specsavers:

https://www.specsavers.c...-aids/hearing-aid-range

I don't know where you are in the country, but I would also recommend this chain:

http://www.rjdhearingcare.co.uk/

Although they are slightly more expensive, they would do a good job at recommending a minimum spec for your loss, and wouldn't oversell you an expensive solution.

Graham
Smoker
#5 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 12:13:44 AM

GrahamLucas2 wrote:

A phonak Virto V30 CIC will be around this amount (£1690 a pair on discounthearingaids.com) and is of very good quality. At specsavers there is probably a mid range Starkey (rebranded) for less than this. Starkey have a very good reputation with custom instruments.

Specsavers stopped using Starkey about 3 or 4 years ago, both for made-for-Specsavers-by-Starkey and for Starkey branded hearing aids.

Smoker
KennyBlundell1
#6 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 12:29:49 AM

You seem to be someone quite knowledgable on hearing issues - having seen your name on several threads. Any particular advice you could give me on how to reasonably approach getting ITE-based aids, and any suggestions on what to look for?

Smoker wrote:
GrahamLucas2 wrote:

Specsavers stopped using Starkey about 3 or 4 years ago, both for made-for-Specsavers-by-Starkey and for Starkey branded hearing aids.

Smoker

Smoker
#7 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 7:37:15 PM

No-one could offer specific/particular advice to your own situation on a forum. There are simply too many factors to consider - your history, medical aspects, your audiogram, your lifestyle needs, even the shape of your ear ! And that's just for starters.

But on a general basis, I would say a reasonable approach is to go and see at least two audiologists Three would be ideal if you have the time and inclination. Let them do the necessary and listen to their recommendations. Ask them to justify why they would recommend *that* particular manufacturer, fitting style, and technology level. How each of them handles those simple (and very fair) questions should be a good indicator of whether they are the right place for you. Remember, they will be providing your aftercare for several years to come.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but hopefully you might find this suggestion useful ? And if you want to post your thoughts afterwards, I'm sure others would find it quite interesting.

Smoker
twinaided
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 05, 2017 7:14:35 PM

In July 2015 I visited five different audiologists and had faith in one out of the five. I had Siemens impacts with a mini tek streamer and thanks to knowledge shared on this forum had an idea of what technology was out there and what happened in the private sector. I found a truly great independent in the Hear Clinic in leicester who was really informed let me try some GN Resound linx2 and let me take them for a walk outside. That evening he emailed me a report of what we had discussed and my audiogram. This was truly above and beyond normal service. Visit many I was very disappointed with the high street chains Boots and Specsavers.
ToriLund
#9 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 11:26:16 AM

Hi,

I have just recently made the transition over to the private sector after being cared for by the NHS for over 31 years.

I have just had a hearing assessment done with a private audiologist who is absolutely fantastic and has given me more information about my hearing than I have had with the NHS.

I am quite keen to try out Oticon's new OPN Power BTE hearing aids, which are being released in April so I'm currently waiting for these, although it does depend on what my audiologist advises!

You will be required to have a hearing assessment before they can advise you on suitable hearing aids - It is the law. So have a search around and see who is recommended in your area.

I contacted two audiologists (Both private practices, not Boots or Specsavers) before I ended up visiting one of these and I have not regretted it and am quite excited about the next step in my journey.

Hz...250...500...750...1K...1.5K...2K...3K...4K...6K...8K
L.......30......70......75.....80.....110...110..105...110...115...105
R.......35.....45.......80.....80.....105...105...110...105...115...110

Currently wear Oticon Spirit Synergy P bilaterally supplied by the NHS with Thermotec custom moulds made privately by Egger. User of Oticon Streamer Pro.
PhonakSky
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:46:27 PM

ToriLund wrote:
Hi,

I have just recently made the transition over to the private sector after being cared for by the NHS for over 31 years.

I have just had a hearing assessment done with a private audiologist who is absolutely fantastic and has given me more information about my hearing than I have had with the NHS.

I am quite keen to try out Oticon's new OPN Power BTE hearing aids, which are being released in April so I'm currently waiting for these, although it does depend on what my audiologist advises!

You will be required to have a hearing assessment before they can advise you on suitable hearing aids - It is the law. So have a search around and see who is recommended in your area.

I contacted two audiologists (Both private practices, not Boots or Specsavers) before I ended up visiting one of these and I have not regretted it and am quite excited about the next step in my journey.

Keep us updated on your progress with the new Oticon HAs.
I'm thinking about going private after being cared for by the NHS for 30 years.
I've only ever worn Phonaks so I am looking at the Phonak Sky V90 UP hearing aids.
Currently wearing Phonak Sky Q70 UPs