You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Products and Equipment > Entertainment Apps

Rachel (Information Officer)
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:21:51 AM

Action on Hearing Loss is continuously looking to improve access to services for people with hearing Loss. With the growth of internet services and apps in particular, communication has changed vastly. Some of these apps have been beneficial for people with hearing loss however some apps are designed without any consideration towards the hard of hearing population.
We would therefore like to find out what apps people are using, which apps have been helpful and which apps need improvement. Currently we are focusing on apps which help people with hearing loss and deafness and below are some apps we consider the most useful. We would appreciate feedback on ways any of these apps can be improved as well as information on apps people are using that may help others that have not been identified below.

Entertainment

Sub: Free on iOS. View subtitles on your iOS device synchronized with television or movies on your TV, or at the cinema. Subtitles available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Javanese, Hebrew, Italian, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese.
Information Line Officer

Telephone: 0808 808 0123
Text phone: 0808 808 9000
SMS: 0780 0000360

information@hearingloss.org.uk
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:25:03 AM

Louder TV: Free on iOS. Smart phone can be used as TV amp. Sound from TV is picked up by phone microphone and the app allows you to control the volume being heard from headphones attached to the phone. Not bluetooth compatible.
Information Line Officer

#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:29:27 AM

SoundFocus: Free on iOS. SoundFocus lets people with hearing loss listen to music in full fidelity with an iPhone or iPod Touch. Take a simple audio (hearing) test and create an audio profile that matches your hearing pattern, compensating for the spectrum of frequencies (pitches) that your ear doesn’t hear well. SoundFocus doesn’t just amplify music; it applies advanced audio processing to adjust the sound to your hearing for every song that you listen to. This can make music sound fuller and more present, and sometimes helps pick out softer, high frequency sounds like flutes or oboes. Soundfocus can be used on iTunes and a Spotify premium account even for Spotify Radio.
Information Line Officer

#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:30:44 AM

www.yourlocalcinema.com: Find which cinema near you is showing films with subtitles and audio description. Search by film title which will give the full list of all UK cinemas showing that film with subtitles and audio description.
Information Line Officer

#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:32:33 AM

iSubtitle: Apple’s been supporting subtitles and captions in its software and on its devices for a while now. Unfortunately, despite that, there are very few videos on the iTunes Store that actually include this information (I found just 138 movies with captions out of the thousands on the store).But, if you’re getting your video files from elsewhere, you can potentially add your own subtitles. iSubtitle program from Bitfield can add soft subtitles—i.e. captions you can turn on or off—to your video files that you can then watch via iTunes or QuickTime Player, or on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple TV. Sadly, it won't work with protected video purchased from the iTunes Store. For the most part, the program is pretty straightforward to use: open your video file, add in your subtitle track, save and you're good to go (you may need to re-encode the video, depending on the format, but iSubtitle will do that for you).
Information Line Officer

#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:35:07 AM

Sublight: http://www.sublight.me/welcome/ Sublight is popular and easy to use Windows application for automatic searching and downloading subtitles for your movies and series. Drag & drop video file to Sublight, double-click subtitle and it you get subtitles to your video. Out of the box support for third party subtitle databases: Podnapisi.NET, Addic7ed.com, Subscene.com, OpenSubtitles.org, subdivx.com, Titlovi.com (ex-Yugoslavia subtitles), Ondertitel.com (Dutch subtitles), Undertexter.se (Swedish subtitles), subom.net (Chinese subtitles), subs.com.ru (Russian subtitles), SubSynchro and TVsubtitles.net. Auto-detects 500,000+ movies and TV series. It can be integrated into Windows File Explorer so you can have quick access to subtitles by simply right clicking video file. It has multilingual user interface (crowdsource translated by Sublight users). Possible to log in with your Google account so you don't have to remember another password.
Information Line Officer

#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:36:57 AM

Subtitles: OSX and Windows. Just drop your videos into Subtitles and get subtitled video. Subtitles analyses the contents of the video files, so it works even if your videos don't have the correct name. Supports any video format so it doesn't matter which codec or extension your file uses. Subtitles supports more than 40 languages and its interface is translated into more than 10.

http://subtitlesapp.com/
Information Line Officer

Shelle021
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:10:49 PM

I havent tried any of these apps as most are very confusing and I can never figure out what I am supposed to do :-/

I have tried however, and still use, the your local cinema website which I find invaluable. In fact recently I realised that another cinema nearby has subtitles ocassionally which I had assumed wouldnt as they are are a small community cinema! And I also realised through this website that another cinema just a few miles further than my local one has two and three times more screenings available so again this is invaluable information. The best thing is all the information together on one page so that I do not need to go to each of the separate websites instead. A MUST HAVE bookmark if you like to go to the cinema!
Haliday7
#9 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 3:32:43 PM

I have not tried any of the above

However an app I would find very useful is one that lists where there are t-coil facilities.
BrianMurray2
#10 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2015 2:39:22 PM

Rachel (Information Officer) wrote:

SoundFocus: Free on iOS. SoundFocus lets people with hearing loss listen to music in full fidelity with an iPhone or iPod Touch. Take a simple audio (hearing) test and create an audio profile that matches your hearing pattern, compensating for the spectrum of frequencies (pitches) that your ear doesn’t hear well. SoundFocus doesn’t just amplify music; it applies advanced audio processing to adjust the sound to your hearing for every song that you listen to. This can make music sound fuller and more present, and sometimes helps pick out softer, high frequency sounds like flutes or oboes. Soundfocus can be used on iTunes and a Spotify premium account even for Spotify Radio.

I have just tried Soundfocus and cannot believe the improvement. I can now hear musical sounds that I have not heard for years. a magical app that should be offered to every person (like me) who has severe hearing difficulties. Wonderful! Don't wait, try it!
Jess (Information Officer)
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 10:50:35 AM

Sub:

Free on iOS.

View subtitles on your iOS device synchronized with television or movies on your TV, or at the cinema.

Subtitles available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Javanese, Hebrew, Italian, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese.

Information Line Officer

Telephone : 0808 8080 123
Textphone : 0808 808 9000
SMS: 0780 0000 360

Jess (Information Officer)
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:48:06 PM

Story of Life

This is a free BBC app on Android and iOS. It is a collection of over 1,000 wildlife films narrated by Sir David Attenborough and all videos are subtitled.

It is advisable to use this app when on a WIFI connection as it may use a considerable amount of your data allowance if you are have monthly restrictions on your phone contract.

For further info click here.
Information Line Officer

Telephone : 0808 8080 123
Textphone : 0808 808 9000
SMS: 0780 0000 360

lintuthomas1
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 3:21:51 AM

Its really very interesting and funny application.the application available in all devices.i am very interesting to read this blog.thanku so for including about the wonderful topic.
ramanram1
#14 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 12:55:48 PM

The most essential nature of a man is cleanliness. We can recognize a man's character from his materials, he ought to be sharp looking and dress ought to be perfect. So cleanliness of dress has critical part in our life. Wearing a washed material give us more invigorates and vitality. So we ought to must think about our materials and its perfect. As we as a whole know, to clean fabrics we wash it by hand or utilizing clothes washer. In any case, there is issue with that as well. Diverse fabrics has distinctive materials. A few fabrics are nor hard launder able yet a few should be washed by hands. On the off chance that we didn't consider about fabric material on washing, which can bring about quality misfortune or shading loss of our dress. Here comes significance of clothing administrations. Clothing individuals are very much aware of fabric materials. They do the procedure in s orderly way. Clothing wash can keep up the nature of dress which can prompts long lifetime of it. A clothing incorporates conveyance from and to home, washing, flush and furthermore pressing. So for long life and looking after quality, it is ideal to utilize clothing administration for washing
laundry service in vaishali