UK judges rule DWP wrong to deny appeals over refused benefits - Action on Hearing Loss
You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Deafness and hearing loss > UK judges rule DWP wrong to deny appeals over refused benefits

TimRegency
#1 Posted : Monday, August 07, 2017 12:17:58 PM

Here's an example of what can happen when a good charity that genuinely cares about its beneficiaries takes action to defend them. This precedent will apply to deaf people and rightly so, as communication problems can cause delays in meeting deadlines. Well done to the Child Poverty Action Group:

Link:

https://www.theguardian....enefits?CMP=share_btn_tw
Cornishandy
#2 Posted : Monday, August 07, 2017 12:53:14 PM

Both deaf Plus (CPIP 1534/2016) and the NDCS (CPIP 2559/2015) have sponsored deaf people at higher tribunals.

What we need is more charities to join in and ensure that the law is properly carried out. Right now the whole thing is rapidly descending into a shambles.

https://www.disabilityne...nd-capita-refuse-to-act/
TimRegency
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 8:30:21 PM

Cornishandy wrote:
Both deaf Plus (CPIP 1534/2016) and the NDCS (CPIP 2559/2015) have sponsored deaf people at higher tribunals.

What we need is more charities to join in and ensure that the law is properly carried out. Right now the whole thing is rapidly descending into a shambles.

https://www.disabilityne...d-capita-refuse-to-act/

We can only hope. I wonder if the precedent in my link applies to forms as well and the strict deadlines for return. After all, the arguments are equally relevant to them.
MervynJames4
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:39:48 AM

[quote=Cornishandy]Both deaf Plus (CPIP 1534/2016) and the NDCS (CPIP 2559/2015) have sponsored deaf people at higher tribunals.

https://www.disabilityne...d-capita-refuse-to-act/[/quote]

We need to get back to free legal id.
Cornishandy
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:14:01 AM

One thing I discovered during my research into PIP is that there are free legal aid centres dotted about all over the country, this is in addition to the CAB. They are especially common in the larger cities, there are at least half a dozen in London for example but other cities have them too, generally somewhere central.
It's just a bit of a problem to actually find them because they do not advertise. I used Google with the search phrase "Free legal aid centres" and that's what came up.

There are also Welfare Rights Officers attached to all councils, although they tend to be so swamped with casework that they will only see the most desperate cases. Again an internet search reveals all.
TimRegency
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:04:21 PM

Well, I think the judiciary are now seeing what this government is up to - trying to undermine the rule of law, and so judges are now letting their presence be felt.

That's why it's so important to keep appealing any social security decision that you think is bad - let it be looked at by somebody who is impartial.
MervynJames4
#7 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 10:13:53 AM

TimRegency wrote:
Well, I think the judiciary are now seeing what this government is up to - trying to undermine the rule of law, and so judges are now letting their presence be felt.

That's why it's so important to keep appealing any social security decision that you think is bad - let it be looked at by somebody who is impartial.

Apparently the law STARTS with the DWP and ends there !