You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Deafness and hearing loss > National Speed Awareness Course

TomKing1
#1 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 3:53:09 PM

I was speeding and have been offered a National Speed Awareness Course. I've signed up for it online and then thought to advise them of my hearing problems.

I need subtitles for the video clips but the course provider has said that their video clips are not subtitled and can only offer a BSL interpreter, That's no good as I dont use, or need, BSL as I'm OK in face to face communication.

Has anyone come across this before? I can't find any info online and find it hard to believe that this hasn't been a problem before or, indeed, that a course such as this isn't subtitled as a matter of course.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. The course is in the Thames Valley.
deafasapost
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:38:33 AM

I went on a speed awareness course run by TTC and there was the option to request a hearing loop when I booked. Of course there wasn't any loop when I arrived and I just sat there in silence and learnt nothing. I did try to complain but got nowhere. At least I avoided getting points on my licence.
H
TomKing1
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:05:27 PM

Thanks for the info deafasapost. My course is run by DriveTech and they now say they're looking into a solution, which is all I can ask them to do I suppose. My hearing aids don't have the capability for using a loop even if they offer that. I've suggested a transcript of the text on the videos so we'll see what comes back. There's no level of 'pass' on the course and you merely have to engage positively with the content so I'll do that to the best of my ability.