You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Deafness and hearing loss > Grommet, popping , sodium bicarbonate and pain. Help!

joneil1
#1 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 10:13:55 PM

Hi long story short : had grommet fitted in right ear 5+ years ago. Grommet still in there! Went to see consultant about getting it out, and he told me the grommet wasn't in the ear drum anymore, just sat on the outside if it. He suctioned my ear then suggested sodium bicarbonate ear drops 2 weeks before going back to see him to try and get it out. I've two problems with this, for the past few months my ear has been popping, crackling and squeaking with the hearing bring really muffled in that ear and the ear drops seem to make it worse.The major problem I'm having with ear drops is the pain after they've been administered. It gets so bad that I cant stay with my head on the side for more than 5 seconds. The pain starts immediately after they've been put in. Then the nausea starts. Is this normal? Should I just stop the ear drops?
Jess (Information Officer)
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:39:18 PM

Hi joneil1

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing these symptoms. We would recommend you to see if you can get an appointment sooner or speak to a consultant about the issues you are having over the phone. They may suggest to stop using the drops or recommend a different type of medication as it is causing the symptoms described. If you are not able to get hold of the ENT consultant you may find it easier to contact your GP first to ensure it is alright to stop taking the medication and then contact ENT.

Please do contact us if you have any further questions.

Best wishes
Jess
Information Line Officer

Telephone : 0808 8080 123
Textphone : 0808 808 9000
SMS: 0780 0000 360

information@hearingloss.org.uk