You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Deafness and hearing loss > Awaiting hearing aid...what should i expect

EmmaSimmons1
#1 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 11:28:04 PM

Hi all,

am relatively new here. Been having ear pain for about 7 months now and after 1 of my many weekly trips to doctor - i finally snapped & opted for private ENT appointment. Went through various tests etc and was told i had glue ear & a grommet was the answer, but when i came round from op was told no fluid removed but they fitted grommet anyway. Had a noticeable hearing loss before and a significant deterioration since op. 6 weeks on I've just been referred onto hospital for hearing aid (as consultant said it was just a minor blip post op) and have an MRI booked for Friday as still have ear pain.

I have been fine up until this week when a trip to bank / shopping in town was just too overwhelming. I am not an anxious person and very little bothers me, but I have managed to work myself up into a right 2 & 8!

My poor husband cannot say they right thing and i struggle to explain to him what it's like in my little bubble. Does anyone have any tips for helping other halves understand a little more & for me, what's next?

Am a mummy to a very lively 3 year old and don't want her to suffer - a mummy who has a melt down every 2 minutes!!
I am ashamed of myself that I avoided going to a kids birthday party at the weekend so i wouldn't have to tell anyone what was wrong & that i couldn't hear.

Sometimes I have totally brave moments where i think i should post it all over facebook & wear a badge, to give people a chance of understanding but then reality sets in and i shy away again?!?

Have tried doing some research on hearing aids but that in itself seems problematic - gradually introducing them / problems with fit etc. What's a realistic timescale for getting settled with a hearing aid? A few months / a year?

Any pointers would be much appreciated - thanks for reading (think just putting my questions out there, has been a bit of therapy for me)

JRH#1
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:43:14 PM

Hi,
Please don't worry, you've taken the first step to improving your quality of life for the better. You need not worry about the hearing test or the fitting. Your audiologist will be sympathetic and, within the budgetary constraints of the NHS, will want to give you the best hearing aids for your particular situation. If you've never worn them before hearing aids can take a little getting used to but the benefits to you (and those closest to you) far outweigh any initial discomfort. I know exactly what you mean about 'living in a bubble', I took the plunge in January after years of struggling to hear and I was fitted with two NHS aids - It's changed my life and wish I'd done it much earlier! I too used to get anxious about social situations but that's in the past now.
Look forward to hearing your kids and your partner, the birds singing, streams burbling and simple things like rainfall!

Hope it all goes well for you - good luck!
JRH#1
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:51:11 PM

Forgot to mention.. I've had my aids for six weeks now, wearing them 12-14 hours a day and the initial 'harshness' is settling down. They are beginning to sound a bit more natural now. My audiologist told me it could take around six months or so. To be honest I forget I've got them in most of the time.
EmmaSimmons1
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:06:46 PM

Thanks for reply!

Glad it's been positive for you - hope I can get sorted soon and settle in to HA life as quickly
JRH#1
#5 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 6:18:26 PM

You're welcome. There's a lot of experienced folks on here so don't hesitate to post any questions you might have.
Skinny Liz 57
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:08:46 PM

Hi Hope you are finding your HAs helpful. It does take a while to get used to them so persevere and don't be afraid to go back to your clinic or supplier for help in ironing out anything you are not happy with. Modern aids can be so fine-tuned to the wearer. Most of the time, I forget I have mine in. Good luck,
Dizz
#7 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 1:08:14 PM

I had my first appointment today, test showed mild hearing loss in both ears, two aids have been recommended, had ear impressions taken before I left.

Even though I've noticed I'm missing stuff the diagnosis was still a shock.

Really not sure what to expect when I get them.