What is the Employment service?
People with hearing loss are four times more likely to be unemployed than a hearing person. Our Employment service aims to challenge this by working with jobseekers who have hearing loss as well as employers.
All our employment advisors use British Sign Language, and we can also help if your hearing loss is part of a broader disability like autism spectrum disorder, Asperger syndrome or Rett syndrome.
How we can assist jobseekers
If you have hearing loss, our Employment service offers you help by:
- supporting you with job searching, filling in application forms, and building a CV
- assisting you with interview preparation
- helping you to meet potential employers
- helping you to access education, training or work experience.
How we can assist employers
If you are an employer or organisation, our Employment service can help you by:
- supporting you with work trials before committing to employing someone
- providing you with information about deaf awareness training
- giving you advice about reasonable adjustments and the law
- advising about Access to Work.
How can I get support to find work?
- Your disability employment advisor (DEA, or work coach at your local Jobcentre Plus (JCP) can refer you to our service. If they don't know about it, mention the ‘specialist Employment service’ at Action on Hearing Loss Cymru. You could print this page off to show them.
- Your DEA will discuss with you whether our service is suitable for you, or make you aware of support from alternative providers.
- Please be aware that spaces are limited and are distributed on a first-come-first-served basis. New referrals can be made via JCP to Doncaster Deaf Trust on the first day of each month at 9am.
- If you don't have a DEA or work coach, or are experiencing difficulty with making contact with your Jobcentre Plus, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a text message to 0743 653 7510 (SMS only). The Employment service will then contact your local Jobcentre Plus on your behalf.
Who is eligible for the Employment service?
You could be eligible if you are currently claiming Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Jobseeker’s Allowance and have a genuine interest and committed approach to pursuing employment.