Sound Advice is a free information pack that provides employers with best practice guidance on:
- how they can make recruitment processes accessible for applicants who are deaf or have a hearing loss
- how they can make the ‘reasonable adjustments’ that are required by the Equality Act 2010 for employees with hearing loss.
It was launched by Moving On, Action on Hearing Loss Scotland’s project to get people with hearing loss into work or training, with the help of the former Minister for Youth Employment, Angela Constance.
The pack covers the following important issues, which affect the successful recruitment or retention of staff who are deaf or have hearing loss:
- Recruitment attracting applications from the many talented and skilled people who are deaf or have hearing loss.
- Interviewing ensuring that appropriate arrangements, such as communication support and equipment, are in place for interviewees who require it.
- Induction period making induction processes effective for new employees who are affected.
- Access to Work using the specialist disability service delivered by Jobcentre Plus to get practical advice and support for disabled people who are working, self-employed or looking for employment.
- Employee rights making ‘reasonable adjustments’ for staff with hearing loss to meet the requirements of the Equality Act 2010.
- Communication understanding the range of communication methods that can be used by staff who are deaf or have hearing loss.
- The working environment making minor, inexpensive changes to the layout of workplaces for staff to help with hearing loss.
- Career development giving employees who are deaf or have hearing loss the same access to training, retraining or career development opportunities as other staff.
- Supporting staff many people start to lose their hearing as they get older and they may need some support in the workplace.
- Good practice striving to offer excellent levels of accessibility for employees who are deaf or have hearing loss is awarded by Action on Hearing Loss’s Louder than Words best practice charter.
Find out more
For more information about Sound Advice, contact the Moving On team on 0141 341 5330 (telephone),0141 341 5350 (textphone), or email firstname.lastname@example.org