We are currently looking for volunteers in the following communities:
- West Midlands - Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton
Talks usually take place during the day, Monday to Friday, and only occasionally on the weekends. The level of commitment depends entirely on each volunteer.
What will you be doing?
As a Speaker to Community Groups, you’ll perform the following tasks:
- deliver a variety of talks, either general talks about our work, or talks on specific subjects tailored to the needs of the group (materials and information will be provided)
- become familiar with the range of our information and local services
- answer questions from the audience and distribute information if appropriate
- monitor the number of people at the talk and feedback to the Fundraising Manager
- eventually seek out new groups interested in receiving a talk
- promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss
- meet with other volunteers and staff to discuss your work and suggest any improvements.
Why do we need you?
Our Speaker Volunteers help us to share valuable information about our services to the general public. We need more enthusiastic individuals to join us, so people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss can take control of their lives and remove the barriers in their way.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- confidence in speaking to individuals, groups and professionals
- knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
- friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately – redirecting questions to staff if you are unable to answer in full
- happy to work with a wide range of people.
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together. Here’s what our volunteers say:
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- training in understanding hearing loss
- the opportunity to attend other training relevant to the role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment – knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the 10 million people with hearing loss in the UK, the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available.
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960