We are currently running information drop-ins at the following locations:
- Redcar Library
- Masrke Library
- Saltburn Library
- Guisborough Library
- South Bank Library
- Middlesbrough Deaf Centre
Please note that additional venues will be available shortly.
All sessions take place between Monday to Friday, during normal office hours.
Drop-ins are held once a month at each location (twice for Redcar library).
What will you be doing?
As Library Information Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
- Supporting people newly diagnosed with hearing loss by providing them with relevant information
- Signpost these individuals to local support groups or services
- Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss
- Follow Action on Hearing Loss policies and regulations
- Complete any necessary paperwork
Volunteers will also have the opportunity to take part in delivering our ‘Living with Hearing Loss’ course (dates, venues and timings to be confirmed).
Why do we need you?
Our Library Information volunteers help us to share valuable information about hearing loss and our services to the general public. We need more enthusiastic individuals to join us, so people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss can take control of their lives and remove the barriers in their way.
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- A genuine interest in working for charities
- A friendly and approachable manner
- A sensitive attitude towards other people
- A positive and flexible approach to working as part of a team and with other volunteers
- Reliable, trustworthy and honest
- Open-minded and non-judgmental
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
- Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960