Where?Various locations in your local community within Cambridgeshire.
When?The level of commitment depends entirely on each individual volunteer and you can give as much or as little time as you want to the role- it is up to you.
However, we know you are busy but we estimate usually 3-4 hrs per event. Events usually take place during the day, Mon-Fri and occasionally on the weekend.
What will you be doing?As Information Outreach Volunteer, we would like you to:
• Set up our information stands at various community locations including libraries, community centres and hospitals within your local area, ensuring all leaflets, banners and equipment are displayed and packed up at the finish of the event.
• We will train you about the work of Action on Hearing Loss and the services we offer so that you can promote our work and that of associated local services.
• Answer any questions and enquiries from visitors and recording any enquires.
• Make a note of the number of visitors to the stand at each event, and give feedback to your volunteer manager.
• Join us at regular social meetings with other volunteers to exchange information, discuss our work and ways we can improve.
Why do we need you?As with all charities, our volunteer teams are quite simply the lifeblood of our organisation. Every day our volunteers- people like you- make a tremendous difference to people’s lives. We need enthusiastic individuals to join us to spread our message across Cambridgeshire, helping people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss to live the life they choose, enabling them to take control of their lives and remove the barriers in their way. People just like you.
What skills do you need?Here is what we think could be beneficial:
• Confidence in speaking to individuals
• Knowledge of or willingness to learn about issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people
• Friendly, reliable, approachable and enthusiastic
• Ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately
• Happy to work with a wide range of people
What support will you get?We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 90% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Your own Volunteer Manager will give regular support especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
TransportYou will need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960