Our equipment is based at Tayside Deaf Hub, The Old Mill, 23 Brown Street, Dundee DD1 5EF and other locations as required for demonstration sessions.
The length of each information session can vary, from a few hours, to a full day. The level of commitment depends entirely on the volunteer. A minimum of 2 hours per month is suggested.
- Providing information about services available for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people
- Demonstrating equipment that might assist a Deaf or Hard of Hearing person
- Signposting to other services when required – particularly to Social Work Services and/or Audiology (training will be given)
- Answer questions from the audience and distribute information if appropriate
- Monitor the number of people at the talk and feedback to the Hear to Help Project Coordinator
- Eventually seek out new groups interested in receiving a talk
- Promote our work
- Meet with other volunteers to discuss your work and suggest any improvements
- An understanding of equipment for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people or a willingness to learn about this equipment (training will be provided)
- Confidence in speaking to individuals, groups and professionals
- Friendly, reliable and approachable manner
- Ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately – making a note of questions for staff to answer if unable to answer in full.
- Happy to work with a wide range for people
You will need to be able to travel locall to different places, whether by car of public transport. Expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss travel and subsitence policy
What will you gain by becoming a volunteer for us?
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people who are deaf, have a hearing loss or tinnitus
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other volunteers
- Fulfillment – knowing that the information you provide will make a real difference to those who receive it, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed, according to our Expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles within Action on Hearing Loss.
Please complete the online application form.