We are currently looking for volunteers in the following communities:
- Brighton & Hove
The role is flexible, and we don’t want you to ever feel under pressure to do more than you’re comfortable. Typically we would like someone who is able to commit to this role for between two and four hours per week, and organise a collection once every 3 months.
The amount of time you spend depends on how many collections you can organise, their location and other factors.
As Collection Organiser, you will perform the following tasks:
- Organising local collections in supermarkets, shopping centres and other public places – there are lots of places we could collect so use your imagination!
- Liaising with Action on Hearing Loss staff to make sure the right permissions/licenses are in place
- Ordering sufficient buckets, t-shirts and other supplies for your collections
- Helping with recruiting new volunteer collectors and keeping in touch with existing ones
- Organising the rota of volunteer collectors
- Making sure that collectors on the day are properly briefed, welcomed and any requirements of the location are followed (e.g. where to stand in a supermarket)
- Counting and banking the collected money and recording it accurately, and completing simple reports so we can keep track of how they’re doing.
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- Above all, an enthusiasm and interest for Action on Hearing Loss' work. 1 in 6 people in the UK are affected by hearing loss, so there will be lots of people in your local community who understand how hard it can be to face hearing loss, and empathise with the people we help.
- Knowledge of your local area and ideally a good network of contacts in your area.
- Good communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Support and supervision
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us. While volunteering for us, you will:
- Be supported by the Community Fundraising Team. We will be your everyday contact for any advice, ideas, information including on the legalities and best practice and any other queries you may have.
- Get all the materials you need such as buckets and branded items, and paying in slips to make it really easy to transfer the money you’ve raised.
- Be kept up-to-date with latest Action on Hearing Loss news and information and any new developments in your area.
- Receive support from the Volunteering Team with recruiting and training collection helpers.
In a recent survey, 92% of our volunteers said they would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Here’s what our volunteers say:
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
- Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
You’ll receive the following benefits when you volunteer for Action on Hearing Loss:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
Ready to apply for this role?Excellent!
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like an informal chat, please get in touch with us. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Call: 01273 840960