We are looking for volunteers in the following locations:
• Sutton on Sea
This role may be based at a client’s home or at a Hear to Help drop in depending on individual’s availability
This will be an ongoing role for 2-4 hours per month although exact hours/days will depend on individual’s availability to cover coffee mornings on an ad hoc basis.
The coffee mornings are usually 2 hours per month & home visiting will be approx. 2 hours each session.
What will you be doing?
As Volunteer Befriender, you’ll perform the following tasks:
• Visit clients in their home on a monthly basis- or more regularly if possible
• Spend an hour or two of your time with the client each time, chatting and listening to them
• Direct the client to other services that they may be interested in
• Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss Sensory Service
• Provide assistance with teas & coffees at our social coffee mornings on an ad hoc basis if able
• Follow Action on Hearing Loss policies and regulations
• Complete any necessary paperwork.
How will your time make a difference?
Not everyone realises the impact that sensory loss can have on your social life.
Our Hear to Meet befriending service makes a huge difference to people who may have become isolated. We depend on our fantastic volunteers to help us run this important service.
What skills do you need?
• An empathetic and active listener
• Committed to the wellbeing of others- especially the older community
• Reliable, trustworthy and honest
• Ability to complete necessary paperwork and return it to your volunteer manager
• Ability to travel independently around the local area
• Committed to regular visits.
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people with a sensory loss
• A genuine interest in working for charities
• A sensitive attitude towards other people
• Open-minded and non-judgmental
• A friendly and positive approach
What support will you get?
You will be supported by our Communication Development Officer - Amanda Stait.
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 90% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer.
Regular support will be given by your own staff supervisor, especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You can also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.”
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
• Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
• Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
• Learning in the role – staff and other volunteers will show you the ropes and support you to develop the skills needed to deliver
• Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
• Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
• Expenses – reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed in line with the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
• Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if desired
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role?
Please complete our online application form or, if you are interested and would like to discuss the role in more detail, please feel free to get in touch.
Call: 01273 840960