Action on Hearing Loss and Deafness Research UK announced today they are holding talks about the possibility of a merger.
Discussions between senior executives and trustees of two of the UK’s most prominent hearing loss charities are focusing on how the combined work of the two organisations could raise the profile of, and boost funding for, biomedical research in the long term.
Both charities are known for their work in biomedical research, with Action on Hearing Loss currently funding UK and international work into treatments and cures for hearing loss and tinnitus, and Deafness Research UK focusing on UK research.
Chief Executive for Action on Hearing Loss, Paul Breckell said: “Hearing loss is something that will affect most of us during our lifetime, but currently biomedical research into hearing loss and tinnitus is hugely underfunded compared with other health conditions. By combining the expertise of Action on Hearing Loss and Deafness Research UK we believe we can raise the profile of this vital area of our work, and encourage greater funding.”
Vivienne Michael, Chief Executive of Deafness Research UK said: “Deafness Research UK and Action on Hearing Loss have a shared vision of increasing the funding available for biomedical research into hearing loss, tinnitus and related conditions. There have been some major breakthroughs in recent years but research has the potential to deliver so much more, for example through stem cell and drug treatments. Together, we believe that we could deliver the increased awareness and funding needed to make this happen.
“We will be continuing our discussions over the coming weeks and expect the outcome to be announced in the next few months”.
Contact for general media enquiries:
Rebecca Griffin, Head of Campaigns and PR at Action on Hearing Loss, telephone:
020 7296 8137 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jon Gardner, BeyondPR (on behalf of Deafness Research UK), telephone: 0114 275 6996 or email: email@example.com.
Notes for editors:
Action on Hearing Loss
- Action on Hearing Loss is the UK’s largest charity taking action on hearing loss. We want a world where hearing loss doesn’t limit or label people – and where people value their hearing enough to look after it.
- For information about how Action on Hearing Loss is funding biomedical research to develop treatments to improve the everyday lives of people with hearing loss, visit www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/biomedicalresearch.
- For further information about Action on Hearing Loss or to become a member, visit www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk, contact the Action on Hearing Loss Information Line on 0808 808 0123 (freephone) or 0808 808 9000 (textphone) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deafness Research UK
- Deafness Research UK is the only national charity dedicated to finding new cures, treatments and technologies for deaf, hard of hearing and other hearing impaired people.
- The charity supports high quality medical research into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of all forms of hearing impairment including tinnitus.
- The Deafness Research UK Advisory Service provides free information and advice based on the latest scientific evidence and informed by leading experts. The service can be contacted by email at email@example.com or telephone on Freephone 0808 808 2222.
- For a wide range of information on research into deafness, tinnitus and other hearing conditions, go to the charity’s website at www.deafnessresearch.org.uk (opens in new window).
- Deafness Research UK was founded in 1985 by the late Lord (Jack) and Lady (Pauline) Ashley of Stoke.
- In January 2008, Action for Tinnitus Research (ATR) was linked with Deafness Research UK under a uniting direction order under section 96(6) of the Charities Act 1993.