Action on Hearing Loss Logo
    Total results:
    Search
      Total results:

      Speech-to-text

      If you're attending meetings or conferences, a speech-to-text reporter can provide a real-time translation of what is being said so that you can participate fully.

      Speech-to-text reporters (SSTRs) provide a real-time translation of audio to people who are deaf. They type, word for word, what is being said with the text appearing in real time on a laptop or projector screen.

      To do so, they have a special keyboard that means they can type the phonetic sound of words rather than spelling them out letter by letter. Then, the phonetic version is translated into English by a computer with an average 95% of the words being translated correctly by the computer (the remaining 5% are spelt how they sound phonetically).

      Speech-to-text reporting is a way of communicating most suited to people who are comfortable reading English at a high-speed for lengthy periods.

      For more information about STTRs, see our factsheet Working with a speech-to-text reporter.

      Booking a speech-to-text reporter

      Would you like to book an SSTR? Why not talk to our friendly communication support service?

      If you're booking an STTR, or any other form of communication support for the workplace, you may be eligible for funding from the government funded Access to Work scheme. We can help you with your funding application.

      Or, for more information and to talk about your needs, contact us on 0845 685 8000 (telephone) 0845 685 8001 (textphone) or email communication.services@hearingloss.org.uk