Action on Hearing Loss Logo
    Total results:
      Total results:

      Personal Independence Payment

      Does your hearing loss affect your ability to carry out daily activities, such as communicating verbally? If the answer is 'yes' and you're aged 16-64, you could claim Personal Independence Payment.

      What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

      Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a cash benefit for people aged 16-64 who need help with the extra costs arising from a long-term condition. It was introduced in April 2013 and is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

      PIP has two components: 'daily living' and 'mobility', which each have two rates of payment. It's paid regardless of any income or savings you have and it's not taxable.

      Who is eligible for PIP?

      To receive PIP, you must:

      • be aged 16-64
      • have a long-term health condition or disability that causes difficulties with activities related to daily living or mobility, or both
      • have had difficulties caused by ill health or disability for three months and expect them to last for at least nine months, unless you're terminally ill with less than six months to live
      • Fulfill certain qualifying residency requirements.

      How do I apply for PIP

      The first step is to contact the DWP new claims telephone service between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday on 0800 917 2222 (telephone) or 0800 917 7777 (textphone).

      It helps if you have certain information to hand before you call. This includes your:

      • contact details and date of birth
      • National Insurance number
      • bank or building society details
      • doctor’s or health worker’s name
      • details of any time you’ve spent abroad or in a care home or hospital.

      If you find it hard to use the phone, a relative, carer or friend can make the call for you. But you must be there so that you can confirm that the person supporting you has your permission to make the call.

      How will I be assessed for PIP?

      Once the DWP has established that you meet the basic PIP entitlement conditions relating to age and residence, it will send you a 'How your disability affects you' claim form, along with notes to help you fill it in.

      Once you’ve returned your form, you'll need to be medically assessed by an independent health professional - in most cases this means a face-to-face consultation in an examination centre or in your home. During your assessment, you'll be given point scores for your ability to carry out 12 everyday activities which include 'communicating verbally'. This is usually the most important activity for people who are deaf or have hearing loss.

      Depending on the number of points you're awarded, you'll be sent a letter telling you whether you have been awarded PIP or not. If your claim is turned down, you have one calendar month from the date of the decision in which to ask the DWP to look at their decision again. This is called a reconsideration.

      How much could I get?

      How much you could get depends on how severely your condition affects you. The rates of payment for the two parts of PIP are:

      • either £55.10 or £82.30 for the daily living part
      • either £21.80 or £57.45 for the mobility part.

      Find out more

      Find out more about how to claim PIP in our factsheet Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

      Or visit the government services and information website