Befriender for our care home users
Action on Hearing Loss Care Service, Harkness Gardens, Derry City.
To widen service users contact, enable them to integrate more fully into the general community and provide increased opportunity to participate in activities. Enhance the quality of life of deaf and hard of hearing people in the community.
Support our service users in their day-to-day lives, for example shopping trips, entertainment and visits, etc
You need to be sensitive towards other people, open minded and prepared to deal with other issues. Ideally you will have BSL to at least Level 1, with commitment to continue learning to higher levels, but this is not essential for all the people we support. Willing to learn and understand the issues faced by deaf and hard of hearing people.
A full Action on Hearing Loss Induction will be provided, as well as specific training in the role of Befriending Volunteer.
You will need to be prepared to commit to a regular visit to the client, on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.
Support and supervision
Action on Hearing Loss Project Co-Ordinator
What will you gain by becoming a volunteer for Action on Hearing Loss?
- training – learning new skills and gaining up -to-date knowledge of issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people.
- experience – meeting new people in different situations and building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers.
- fulfilment – knowing that the information you provide will make a real difference to those who receive it and raising awareness throughout N Ireland.
- expenses – all expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed.
- become involved in the Deaf and hard of hearing community in N Ireland.
- work as part of a team.
All volunteers are required to complete an Access NI check, as some of your work may include working with vulnerable adults. Whether or not a check will be carried out will depend on the nature of the role that is agreed you will undertake.
Thank you for showing an interest in volunteering for Action on Hearing Loss. If you are interested in becoming a befriending volunteer, please complete the enclosed volunteer application form or contact us if you have any questions.
Please complete the online application form or contact the Volunteer Team on 02890 239 619 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information about this role, please contact:
Senior Support Worker,
Action on Hearing Loss Care and Support,
1 - 2 Harkness Gardens,
Tel: 028 71341005
Text: 028 7134 2262