You are here:

Forums

Logged in as: Anonymous Search |

Deafness and hearing loss > AOHL's youtube

MM.1
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:39:22 AM

Can we have some vblogs about REAL people with hearing loss ? as averse to celebrity chasing ? in all fairness most of us cannot relate our situation to these people. Looking through AOHL output it is all about minor loss, not serious loss and we see no real deafened people on them, can AOHL broaden the output to include more people at the business end ? Including and sign interpretation seems a misnomer in terms when AOHL is covering a different sector altogether.
Emma (Helpline Officer)
#2 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 4:19:39 PM

Hi MM

Hope you are well. Thanks for your post and comments.

What sort of topics would you like to see covered from 'real' people with hearing loss? What would you find useful?

Thanks
Emma
Cornishandy
#3 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 5:30:16 PM

I know what he means. You are mostly featuring celebrities with mild hearing loss. This is fine and obviously matches your target readership but it would be nice to see a few deaf celebrities as well. I could list ten deaf or Deaf celebs who deserve a mention.
MM.1
#4 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 5:56:09 PM

Andy is right. I think AOHL needs to be more inclusive of an wider variety of people with loss. I was totally turned off with some campaigns about 'loss'. To seek out more people at the business end so to speak, (OK they won't all be jumping for joy but..). Personally and with profound loss, I find the celebrity and even HoH vblogs totally unrelated and sometimes irritating to me, I understand these people have loss too, and it is not demeaning their issues, it is an matter of feeling included I think. One 5th of AOHL output is 'deaf' related, and that is just 'provision' related. Access in titles and even BSL becomes 'academic' if you then view people with whom you have no issue in common. 1 in 7 is just nothing at all to do with deaf people. There would be no point in me even reading it. Apart from the forum input here, what is there really. I was interested to read Andy has a list of 10 celebs, really ?
Cornishandy
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:13:31 AM

People whom I think would be worth an interview and a photo if not an actual film.
No particular order, just as I think of them:

1. Austin Reeves. Civil Engineer. Honoured for services to deaf people on the DBC.
2. Keith Simmons. Property Developer. Ret. Honoured for services to deaf people. Bournemouth Deaf Club.
3. Mabel Davis. Headteacher Heathlands school. Honoured for services to deaf education.
4. Douglas Alker. Businessman. Former CEO of RNID. Many accomplishments such as being a licensed rugby coach and a member of the Magic Circle.
5. Terry Riley. Film maker. First Deaf man to make a career at the BBC.
6. Billy Mager. Exceptionally talented film and documentary maker.
7. Frances Elton. Academic. Deaf cultural and sign language expert at UCL.
8. Neil Alderman. Chemical engineer. Won a hotly contested award last year for innovation in cleaning up dangerous radioactive materials.
9. Evelyn Glennie. Outstanding percussionist.
10. Ruth Montgomery. Outstanding flautist and musician.

Took me 11 minutes to list those, there are more!
MM.1
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:53:39 AM

Cornishandy wrote:
People whom I think would be worth an interview and a photo if not an actual film.
No particular order, just as I think of them:

1. Austin Reeves. Civil Engineer. Honoured for services to deaf people on the DBC.
2. Keith Simmons. Property Developer. Ret. Honoured for services to deaf people. Bournemouth Deaf Club.
3. Mabel Davis. Headteacher Heathlands school. Honoured for services to deaf education.
4. Douglas Alker. Businessman. Former CEO of RNID. Many accomplishments such as being a licensed rugby coach and a member of the Magic Circle.
5. Terry Riley. Film maker. First Deaf man to make a career at the BBC.
6. Billy Mager. Exceptionally talented film and documentary maker.
7. Frances Elton. Academic. Deaf cultural and sign language expert at UCL.
8. Neil Alderman. Chemical engineer. Won a hotly contested award last year for innovation in cleaning up dangerous radioactive materials.
9. Evelyn Glennie. Outstanding percussionist.
10. Ruth Montgomery. Outstanding flautist and musician.

Took me 11 minutes to list those, there are more!

I think AOHL has done to death Evelyn Glennie, Ruth Montgomery and Jack Ashley too. Austin Reeves yes certainly, I'd like to chat with him re disability lol, he had some strange views on that years ago. The others I haven't really heard of but Terry (Riley). I noticed these are all older people ! sadly a sign of the times, youth doesn't campaign any more too much tweeting addled the brain sadly. AOHL seems nervous about the deaf inclusion and signing, apart for 'access' that is all we see of them, not as people who have served us all for years tirelessly. I think if AOHL wants to REALLY get deaf reactions and insight and has the bravery, they could include Paddy Ladd too... surely the most influential British deaf person ever to make it in the USA ? I also think AOHL is desperate to not 'alienate' their primary membership the hard of hearing, but it is time now and I feel HoH can recognise the deaf are only different from them by virtue of a few decibels. Their numbers and the deaf determination for access would get what we all want a lot quicker....

Norty Andy ! Doug Alker lol......
Cornishandy
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:00:20 PM

They are all people I would feature in interviews or short film clips on the basis of being outstanding in some way. Don't underestimate Doug, he does good work. http://www.elds.org.uk/

There are more, not necessarily deaf but closely associated and well worth talking to :

John Hay MBE, Deaf Historian
James Strachan, Merchant Banker, Ex RNID CEO, Chair of the Audit Commission, Photographer
Carl Morris, former World Pool Champion and fund raiser for hearing dogs
Donna Ruane, one of the most accomplished BSL interpreters working in theatre.
Jim Kyle, Academic Bristol University Deaf Studies

These are all people who one way or another make/have made an impact on deaf life and therefore interesting. What I am saying is there's plenty of material without even including any HoH celebrities.
Emma (Helpline Officer)
#8 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 2:15:48 PM

Hello

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback. We’re currently updating our new Action on Hearing Loss YouTube channel so new videos will be added in the coming months.

I will pass your suggestions to the relevant team.

Kind regards
Emma
MM.1
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:19:44 AM

Cornishandy wrote:
They are all people I would feature in interviews or short film clips on the basis of being outstanding in some way. Don't underestimate Doug, he does good work. http://www.elds.org.uk/

There are more, not necessarily deaf but closely associated and well worth talking to :

John Hay MBE, Deaf Historian
James Strachan, Merchant Banker, Ex RNID CEO, Chair of the Audit Commission, Photographer
Carl Morris, former World Pool Champion and fund raiser for hearing dogs
Donna Ruane, one of the most accomplished BSL interpreters working in theatre.
Jim Kyle, Academic Bristol University Deaf Studies

These are all people who one way or another make/have made an impact on deaf life and therefore interesting. What I am saying is there's plenty of material without even including any HoH celebrities.

Donna Ruane ? Is she related to Terry ? Haven't heard from him in years...
Cornishandy
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:24:15 PM

Donna is Terry's ex wife. I met him a couple of years ago and I was struck by how much he looks like Andy Warhol.

Speaking of luvvies... Tim Barlow, Genevieve Barr ...